Chapter 15

Kayn walked silently though Rhaast was a nuisance in his ear. He was present more often than Kayn led everyone to believe. He became good at hiding his... vessel mate. After the fight at the bar Rhaast was loud and hard to quiet. He yelled in Kayn's head, his word's bouncing from one side of his skull to another.

"You let him live?" Rhaast poked "You should have killed him." 

Kayn usually tried his best to ignore the demon living within him. He tried to block out his comments and especially tried not to reply. Replying fed the passenger in his body. Replying invited him to stay and talk longer. 

"She could have been killed." Rhaast was loud, his deep voice echoing in Kayn's mind. "We would have lost her just as quickly as we got her.

Truthfully Kayn was becoming tired of trying. He wished he could rip Rhaast out of himself. Hand the demon scythe to another being. Get rid of his soul passenger for good. But he couldn't do that... This wasn't something he could put in a box and forget about. 

"You're weak, Kayn. Grow a pair." Rhaast provoked. "You were too easy on her. Make her suffer for her mistake." It's voice grew louder. 

"Shut the fuck up." Kayn whispered to himself. He was walking further ahead of Petra and Soraka and he prayed they didn't hear him. 

"You can not silence me." Rhaast egged on "I will be here with you for ever."

"Shut up. Shut up." Kayn had stopped walking now, his hands reaching up to his ears trying to find silence. "Leave me be."

"You will never get rid of me, Kayn. We are one." Rhaast was louder than the rest of the world now. Kayn couldn't hear anything other than his hauntingly low voice. He was acting worse than he normally was, he was taunting Kayn and he usually didn't- Not like this at least.

"Leave me alone!" Kayn yelled, dropping to his knees in the middle of a dirt path they had wondered on to. "Get out of my head." He ripped the scythe from his back and tossed it in front of him. His body instantly became weak but the voice subsided.

Petra ran over kneeling down onto the dirt next to him. She spoke, but he couldn't hear her. His hands remaining over his ears as blood began to trickle out from them. Kayn looked at his hands. He couldn't tell which blood was his and which was from the Vampire. He was shaking, he couldn't keep steady. Petra took him in her arms, laying his head on her chest. He still couldn't hear anything, instead the world around him was a blur accompanied by high pitch ringing. Some how the ringing was easier to hear than Rhaast...

"Kayn... Ka-... Kay... n..." Petra's voice slowly became audible, it weaved in and out but it provided some solace to the worn and beaten man in her arms. She noticed both his eyes were blue again, his skin was warmer, his hair was softer. "Kayn? Kayn?"

He snapped out of it.

"P-Petra?" He sat up, his body still shaking. "What are we doing? Why did we stop?" He glanced over his shoulder at Soraka. She kept her distance, scared to get closer.

"Kayn?" Petra took his face in her hands, she gazed into his eyes. "Are you alright?" She slid her thumb across his cheek, dragging the vampires tacky blood with it.

"I think so. I don't know what happened." He pulled himself up, reaching for the scythe that should have been on his back. "Where's Rhaast?" He became frantic, seeming to forget that he had threw it. Petra took his hand and reeled his attention back to her. 

"Kayn I need you to breathe." He glanced at her, their eyes meeting for a moment before he again became frantic. 

"I need Rhaast." He pulled his hand from her as he spotted the scythe laying a few feet away. 

"Kayn-" Petra began, hoping she could stop him from picking Rhaast back up. It was too late. She watched as he grasped the long neck of the weapon; His body taking back the rough and jagged shape of a man possessed by an immortal demon. In only a few seconds he looked like himself, or, he looked like his version of normal

Petra watched his face, she looked for traces of conversation he might have been having internally with Rhaast. She assumed they would start back up, but instead he was silent and cold. His bones creaked and his spine popped, he rolled his shoulders and necked until they cracked and just like that Kayn felt himself again. Kayn felt Rhaast again and he took off walking as if nothing had happened.

"Are you alright?" She raced up to Kayn meeting his pace at a steady trot. 

"I'm fine." He said, vision tunneling down the dark pathway. "We need to get moving."

"Kayn," She reached for his hand and pulled him back. He stopped in his tracks.

"What?" His tone was sharp and cold. 

"Are you ok?" She asked him one last time. 

Kayn knew he was less than ok. He knew Rhaast was corrupting his sanity but yet he still continued to try and keep himself composed. He tried to keep himself human. 

"I'm fine." He lied through his teeth "Now lets move, I want to get to the swamp before midnight."

EDITED 11/21/17