Chapter 5

Petra found herself standing outside the tavern with Kayn preparing herself to preform on the spot. She'd done it so many times before but never for someone else, and never for no reason.

Kayn stood posted at the door with his arms crossed over his chest. He smiled when she looked over her shoulder. She was hoping he'd call it off and not wait so intently for her to get to work. But there he stood, eager as ever.

"I've never done this for anyone before." Petra admitted. She crouched down and placed her hand on the ground.

"That's alright. Do your best." Kayn said. He walked closer and peered over her shoulder hoping to get a better look. "I'm sorry to hover but I've never seen a crystalline demon before. Your kind is few and far between."

"It's ok. And I know. Just stay back, I don't want to hurt you." And just like that the ground broke in a crescent around Petra. Stone and brick shattered and dirt pushed out from in between the cracks she had forced. A few moments went by and Petra's eyes began to glow bright yellow, her horns taking on an iridescent aura that radiated down to her skin.

Kayn watched, amazed with what was happening right before his eyes. From the cracks in the ground sprouted layers and layers of translucent, pointed crystals. They rose higher and higher until they were almost then same height as Petra, who was now standing, hands poised and pointed at the crystals.

"Ok. " She spoke. "They're beautiful aren't they?" Her crystals always pleased her, and she was impressed with how nice these came out.

After a few moments of no reply from Kayn Petra became a tad self conscious. She stepped out from behind her wall of crystal and to her surprise found a group of men standing huddled with Kayn in the middle of them.

"Kayn?" She called out. Petra tried to push through the men that had appeared so suddenly but was promptly set back.

"Your man here isn't coming out of this in one piece. If you know what's good for you you'll turn your head and look the other way." Their tones were dark and angry. They all had masks on that were reminiscent of an assassin's mask.

"What're you talking about?" Petra argued "What did he do?"

The man scoffed "Turn around and leave, little girl."

"What did he do?" Petra persisted. She stood on the tips of her toes to try and see Kayn but was thrown back by the man. She hit the ground hard, and in that same moment the crowd parted and a man in red with a metal mask stepped forward with Kayn in his grasps.

Petra watched as the other man, surely an assassin, lifted Kayn by his neck and tossed him into her crystal wall like a rag doll. His body crashed into her creation and shattered it.

"Is this what you came for, Zed?" Kayn grunted, lifting himself to his feet. "To rough me up? Hope that I comeback to you?" He scoffed, regaining his composure. Kayn reached for his weapon but was quickly restrained by men from the crowd.

"I've come to warn you." the other man, Zed, spoke. "You are nothing without that weapon. " He moved very close to Kayn, a gloved hand caressing the blade. "Eventually you will succumb to this toy of yours and it will consume you whole. "

Petra watched Kayn writhe in frustration and annoyance. She was trying to piece together what this group of Assassins wanted with Kayn. Petra waited for something to happen, something to provoke the Darkin. She almost wished it would happen for she wanted a full view of Kayn's true power. She wanted motivation to fight, too. She wanted to feel power.

"You're angry because I surpassed you. Don't be so bitter." Kayn spat, his arms strung up like he were being crucified. "You won't even fight me like a man. You need this group of goons to hold me back. You're sc-" Zed lunged forward grabbing Kayn by his throat. He crushed the air flow with his finger tips and Kayn struggled to pull away from his grasp. Petra could hear him gasping for air and something about that sound lit a fire in her stomach.

"You're a fool." Zed growled from behind his mask. "You could have had it all with the Order of The Shadow. You could have ruled with me." He grasped tighter, a yelp escaping Kayn's lips. "But you chose this... Demonic scythe... Over the us. Over me." Zed leaned in very close to Kayn's face "Foolish child..." He whispered.

Quickly Zed released Kayn's throat and reached for Rhaast the Demon weapon, yanking it from Kayn's back and tossing it aside in a huff. Smoke rose from Zed's hands, it seemed as though the weapon has burned him. "Now fight me like an Assassin."

Kayn had fallen to the ground, and Petra remembered what the Darkin had told her. He's only immortal while they are together. And technically, they were no longer together. She watched as he was gasping for air, his throat bruised and red.

"You want to fight me now after you've got your cheap shots in. Typical." Kayn spoke, gruff but still powerful. He was at his feet now and Petra noticed that his eyes, both his eyes, had taken on a shade of blue. A strand of his hair had turned white and then ice blue. It was as if he were returning to his true human form, that of a powerful Assassin. Kayn pulled two daggers from his boots and took on an aggressive stance. "Is this how it's going to end, friend?"

She looked on as Kayn lunged at Zed, striking at his chest. The two moved so quickly they were hard to keep track of. The crowd had spread out and stepped back so the two could duke it out. The people in the tavern had even come out, the commotion surely too tempting.

EDITED 11/20/17