Chapter 37

At the age of 15 Kayn went on a mission with Zed. It was the first time he had went out with only Zed, and he could recall the day so vividly that it was almost as if it had happened yesterday. Zed was hired by some Piltover cop to assassinate her husband. He was mentally ill and physically abusing her, and she couldn't turn him in because it would have made her look bad- but she also could't kill him herself because she was next in line for Sheriff. As a last resort the met with Zed himself and arranged the hit.

Kayn remembered Zed talking about the job like it was as simple as sweeping the floor. He spoke in such a nonchalant way that it almost made young Kayn uncomfortable. He remembered getting the urge to question Zed about the morality of the job, was this man really guilty of abuse? Or was this cop a gold digger looking for some easy cash? His mind kept circling back around to what Zed had told him during the first year of Kayn's training: Assassins are tidy, accidental murders are not tidy. What if this were an accidental murder?

The night came when Zed and young Kayn made their way quietly into Piltover to the Cop's large and spacious home. Zed had been instructed to stage a break in and then to quietly, and quickly, finish the job. The whole trip there Zed seemed off, not like his normal and powerful self. Kayn wanted to question him, but he didn't.

They broke into the home at exactly midnight to find the house nearly empty save for a wildly barking dog and an elderly man tucked away in a quiet corner of a large living room. As Zed approached him with Kayn in tail it became painfully obvious to see that this man was indeed ill, but not mentally- and was certainly not in an condition to even be getting out of the gurney let alone abusing anyone. He remembered looking at Zed who went from stiff and on guard to just plain confused. Again, Kayn wanted to question Zed, but he didn't.

He remembered Zed backing away from the sick elderly man and watched in admiration as he began to leave without completing the job. Kayn remembered feeling whole as Zed's lesson of the tidy assassin began to actually prove itself- that was, until the cop arrived with a gun pointed and cocked at the two.

"Finish the job, scum. Or I'll turn you in right now." The cop growled, the gun pointing directly at the back of Zed's head.

"This is a breech of contract, pig." Zed hissed, his hands raised in the air as a sign of peace.

"I don't care what it is, you said you'd kill the bastard. Now do it!" She waved the gun around a bit as she spoke before again holding it to the back of Zed's head.

Kayn remembered watching on in silence, pressed up against the shadows as he gazed upon the scene in uncertainty. He watched as Zed extended two blades from his sleeve and walked over to the sickly man who was so drugged up he was hardly even coherent. He watched as Zed scowled at the Cop before raising his arm and plunging the blades into the mans chest with one swift movement.

All at once the Cop screamed out, the sound forever ringing inside Kayn's mind. She fired a couple shots above the gurney, then one at the door. She screamed again, this time calling out for help.

"Get the fuck out of my house before I arrest you, Master Zed." She scoffed, reaching into her uniform, pulling out an envelope. She tossed it to Zed before taking out her mobile phone and dialing the emergency line.

"Lets go, Sheida Kayn." He growled, leaving the scene and fleeing into the night.

It was all so vivid, and as Kayn now stood before the unmasked Zed he realized he was nothing more than a sham. An easily influenced assassin who happened to be powerful enough to coax men and woman to fight for him. He remembered the job as a sign of Zed's weakness, and right now that reminder was enough to fuel Kayn's fire.

"What will it be, Kayn?" Zed was grinning, his blade extending from his sleeves just like they did that night so many years ago.

Kayn laughed, his tone mocking and belittling. "Sure..." Kayn started "I'll play by your rules."

What are you doing, fool? Rhaast boomed from inside of Kayn's mind, as usual. If we loose that damned scythe we're dead.

"Silence, Demon." Kayn said out loud.

"Talking to yourself, Hm?" Zed laughed "You've lost your mind, what an awful shame."

"You could say that..." Kayn snorted, if only they knew.

"Now are you going to fight me man to man? Or do I need to teach your demon friend a lesson, too?" Zed sharpened the blades on his arms against one another, the sound echoing out and above the silent crowd.

Kayn placed the scythe on ground and kicked it off to the side with the tip of his boot. The crowd jumped back as the weapon slid across the stone and stopped a few feet away. He rolled his neck, his eyes closing for one last time. He held his breath, listening to his own heart thumping inside of his chest.

"You've always been a coward, Zed." Kayn opened his eyes and stared directly into Zed's.

Zed boomed with laughter, his head tossing back. "I am not the man who can only fight with a demon aiding me!" He retorted, stepping a little closer to Kayn. "I know what you're capable of, Sheida Kayn. That is not defeating me."

"I don't need Rhaast." Kayn said "I can beat you with or without him." A grin swept from ear to ear before Kayn spoke again. "Now are you going to give me a weapon to make this a fair fight? Or did you plan on killing me without any hassle?"

EDITED 11/21/17