Chapter 38

A katana...

Kayn grasped it's handle firmly in his hand. His eyes traveled down to his demonic limb and he chuckled to himself. No one has noticed that you are obviously still within me; Kayn thought to himself, noting that Rhaast was still knocking around inside of him. Is this cheating? Kayn laughed out loud, grasping the katana tighter in his palms.

The air around them was frigid and cold, wind blowing in alarmingly fast gusts. Snow began to sprinkle from above and within only a minute it turned to ice cold rain. The crowd around them began to stagger back more and more, huddling together for warmth as they gazed upon Zed and Kayn.

The two began to walk in a circle, each never breaking eye contact with the other. It was the moment they had been waiting for yet neither could find a good place to start. Running through Kayn's mind was Petra who he still needed to rescue. And through Zed's? Well lets just say it was something along the lines of painting the courtyard crimson.

After minutes of the battle dance Zed finally lunged at Kayn. Two shadow blades whizzed past Kayn's head, dissipating behind his back into the icy rain. Kayn pulled the katana back and leaped into the air, spinning his body in a wide circle and landing his foot into Zed's chest. Zed was knocked to the ground and Kayn whipped the katana's blade forward, aiming for Zed's neck. The assassin rolled quickly only taking a minor cut against his shoulder.

Zed leaped to his feet and rushed forward, his blades coming together and spreading wide across Kayn's abdomen. Two cuts appeared, blood dripping down Kayn's cold skin. Kayn staggered for only a moment before dashing left and jabbing right, nailing Zed's arm. It was clear that both of these men were skilled fighters as both were landing good hits.

Zed's men attempted to step in, but were quickly sent away with an awful scowl. Zed knew this was truly between just he and Kayn. Or, at least he thought so...

The crowd, though freezing, was locked into the brawl. Their eyes fixated on the two as they hacked and sliced each other up. Time seemed to move slower than normal, and as the fight progressed it became painfully obvious that both men were extremely talented assassins. It was clear that they were truly on the same level, weather they wished to admit it or not. Now it was just a waiting game... Who would falter first?

Back and forth they went, jabbing and missing. After 20 minutes had passed they both began to tire, but both still refused to stop. Their breath staggered out into the cold air like pale clouds, their skin turning rosy pink as the icy rain began to sting their skin. When the rain turned into hail it was almost like adding another fighter into the mix. As the men leaped and charged at each other, they were also fighting the horrific bullet sized chunks of hail that were belting them so painfully that marks began to show on their skin.

"I'll do this all day, Sheida Kayn." Zed called out, his blades craftily whirling towards Kayn's face. Kayn slipped out of the way and dove forward with the katana. Zed dodged, and at the last second Kayn switched direction. All at once the frozen crowd leaped and gasped. Zed had been pierced, the katana's blade slide right into his rib cage and out the back.

Silence fell as the brawl stopped. Zed's hands traced the blade that stuck from his side and glared up at Kayn who stood in the hail huffing and heaving as he caught his breath.

"It's over, Zed." Kayn exhaled "I beat you."
Such a fool... He was no match for you. Rhaast laughed from inside his confines.

Moments went by, they seemed like eternal seconds. Then Zed began to laugh... It started off low and gruff but transformed into a wicked and haunting call. The courtyard fell silent, even the hail ceased to fall. Kayn stared at Zed, he watched as Zed pulled the katana from his ribs and fell to one knee. The blade hit the ground and so did Zed's body.

Zed's men gathered around their master hesitantly and were again shooed away by the defeated assassin. Kayn knew it was over, it was the end. Though he wanted to kill Zed, he felt the painful humiliation would be enough to put him in his place.

"Petra," Kayn yelled from across the pond. The poor blindfolded girl's head perked up, her skin almost blue from the cold. He began to walk to her, the crowd still in complete silence. But then just as he neared the stage, a voice he recognized- Katarina, called out from the back of the crowd.

"KAYN!" She yelled "HE'S GOT THE SCYTHE!"

EDITED 11/21/17