CHAPTER 1

Amber

I wake up with a slap and swallow the lump in my throat because I already know what's coming.

"Customer's here." I open my eyes and stretch to look behind him only to see that I don't recognize the man he's brought today. The fact that I don't know him means that he could either not be as bad as some of the others or he could in fact be worse. I'm hoping for the first but in all honesty what kind of a man goes looking for young beaten girls to take against their will? I take a deep breath and prepare myself as best as I can. I only pray for this to be over soon. I sit still while looking at the ground, not daring to look up. I close my eyes as the door is shut and my father's familiar footsteps get further away while heavier ones come closer. 

"Look at me." I do as I'm told, I open my eyes and look at the man. I don't want this to be even more painful and usually, if I'm compliant they aren't as rough. Also, if I upset one of his clients I get a double beating. I don't stand up because I still feel weak from before. Everything hurts and I can feel all the bruises on my body and some of my sore bones. 

"You really are beautiful. Don't look so scared sunshine, I promise you'll like it." He gives me a chilling grin. I can see the madness in his eyes. That crazed and cold look, the one that I'm most familiar with. He's one of those men whose greatest joy is watching others suffer.

"Your daddy told me to not hit you because you were weak, so today I won't. This is just a preview. When you recover we'll have some real fun." He takes off his jacket and throws it onto a nearby chair. Then he slides his shirt off and comes closer to me. All I can do is sit there stiffly, feeling my body react as it usually does. My heart beats so quickly it hurts. My stomach is twisting and I can barely breathe.

"Undo the zipper."He startles me and I hesitate but I don't want anymore punishments so evetually  I do as I'm told. After that, I sort of black out. Being here for so long I've learnt to do that, detach myself from the real world for a little while. I just think of  anything else to distract me from whatever torture he's decided for me. In these moments all I can ever think of is my mother. I have very few memories of her but those are enough to bring me the only happiness I've ever experienced. I think of her beautiful face, she resembled an angel with her long sleek hair, her soft skin and her intense and captivating eyes. Then I remember her smile and her laugh. Even though they were rare, I had the opportunity of witnessing them and her smile would bring joy to anyone. My favorite memories though are when she would hold me and sing to me. Everything about her was perfect. Even after everything that beast put her through, she somehow still managed to shine. I hope to resemble her but I haven't seen myself in years and although I remember her I don't think my memory is good enough to compare. I think about that for a moment, he doesn't allow me to leave this room and I have absolutely no idea what I look like. The only ideas I get are from other people's comments but they are generic and don't give me much information. My father has started hating me more with each day that passes and when I asked him why he said it's because I'm her spitting image. As time passes, I apparently look more and more like her and even if it makes him hate me even more I can't help but hope that I do. I want no resemblance to that man.

I'm brought back to reality as I feel a weight get off me and I'm brought back to my prison. I take a second to become completely aware of my surroundings again. Once I do, I turn to see the man getting dressed.

"This time was fun but get ready for the next time cause it's gonna be even better. See you soon, sweetheart." He gives me a smirk and I know that's a promise that he'll be back. I watch his back as he turns around to leave. I thought I would want to cry again once he was finished, the thing is this time left me feeling more empty than sad. I've progressively started to lose myself. I don't even feel like a person, I feel more like an animal. Caged, sometimes tied up, barely fed, rarely bathed, isolated from the outside. I sigh. I haven't been outside in so long and I can't remember what the grass feels like, I can't remember what it feels like to breathe fresh air.