CHAPTER 12

Alessandro

After dinner I decide take her to her room that Melinda had prepared while we were dining. Speaking of which, Mel's food is always exquisite but tonight dinner was nothing less than extraordinary. Although, I'm almost certain it has something to do with the girl I'm leading up the stairs. Once we get to the top we walk down the hall and once we reach the right door I open it for her. Her room is right next to mine and Meli's is across from us. Since we are the only ones in the house I want to make sure we aren't far from each other.

"This is my room?" I see some hesitance. Does she not like it?

"Yes, if you don't like it I can always arrange another one for you." I lower my gaze to her and she turns towards me with an incredulous look on her face.

"Why wouldn't I like it? It's perfect and huge!" She puts both her arms up to accentuate the expression. Her eyes hold that sparkle again, the one I saw when we went to the garden.

"Thank you so much!" It seems as though she was going to hug me, but reconsidered at the last minute and I felt a slight disappointment. I know I shouldn't get too attached so I suppose it is for the better.

"Don't worry, you will be working here so it's appropriate that you reside here as well in order to be able to do your job." And so I can keep her safe.

"I know, but it's still beautiful. Thank you." I nod, holding back the smile that's struggling to form.

"I'll leave you so you can rest. Tomorrow I'll give you a proper tour of the house and I'll have someone drop off some clothes for you. Meanwhile Melinda left you some sweatpants and a shirt on the bed so you can change. If you want to shower that door leads to your bathroom." I point to the door on the other side.

"Ok, um I...does the...never mind." She looks down and once again I feel frustration. How I wish she could be sure of herself and confident, without any fear.

"Speak Amber, we've gone through this." My words come out harsher than I intended but she doesn't seem fazed.

"I just wanted to know how often the shower works." What does she mean?

"I don't think I understand, the shower works just fine. You shouldn't have an issue." Her brow stays furrowed.

"Ok." I still don't understand but I don't want to push her.

"Well, I hope you rest well. I'll see you tomorrow. Good night, bella." I turn around to leave but spare her one final glance as she answers.

"Oh, um...good night Alessandro." I adore the way my name rolls off her tongue, as if it were made for only her to say. I smile and give her a nod before closing the door behind me.

I go over to my own room to take a shower myself. As I make my way to the bathroom my thoughts stay on the only thing that's been on my mind lately, Amber. What had she meant with that question before? I unbutton my shirt and slip it off. I turn to look at my scars in the mirror, my entire chest is full of them. I have always hated having so many on my body, they are repulsive but Amber has many more and she is still so beautiful. The difference is that hers were made by horrible people that decided to torture an innocent girl, mine are from my mistakes. In any case I deserve them, even if I try to do some good I am a monster. Regardless of the fact that I only hurt those who deserve it, I still do so in unimaginable ways and in the end I'm still taking a life. No one should ever try to play God. I'm tainted and everything around me represents that, I want to have something good in my life whatever that means and now I actually know what I want, I want her. I want my golden eyed angel to someday love me and to eventually be able to love her back. I want to feel special for once. But, I don't deserve it and she definitely deserves much more than whatever I could offer to her. Ugh! I pull at my hair. It isn't fair! The only time I have something worthwhile in my life I can't do anything about it. I won't ruin her life. I can't. I am danger and darkness, while she is innocence and light. I guess having her near will have to do. I let out a frustrated sigh and in one final fit of rage, I throw everything that is on the counter onto the floor. Glass shatters and liquids spill from their containers. I don't care. All I hope is that Amber didn't hear, Melinda knows by now that I throw tantrums often.