CHAPTER 16

Amber

As they leave I stay seated at the table. I should probably look for Mel but my mind is too busy to worry. I find myself remembering last night, I enjoyed myself very much. It was incredible and for the first time I actually felt normal. Nicholas also crosses my mind. He is so sweet and funny, it's very easy to talk to him. I think that he's the person I trust the most besides Emily, I feel so comfortable in his presence. It was so nice in fact that for the first time in a long while I didn't have a nightmare in fact, I had an amazing dream that for some reason involved Alessandro. I remember what he said about carrying me to my room. I blush, that was very sweet and I actually think I felt it. I woke up for a quick second and fell back asleep. All I remember is being lifted and smelling Alessandro's scent, then feeling warmth and bringing myself closer to the source. Then, I started dreaming. This time it was in the garden and we were walking alongside each other in silence. I've always hated silence because it reminded me that I was alone but the silence I dreamt of wasn't forced onto me, it was nice. I was simply enjoying his company. Sadly, I don't remember much else.

Well, I think I should begin cleaning the table and then look for Mel. I try to be as quick as possible simply because I don't like to wait to do things. As soon as I am done I go search for Melinda. Yesterday, she really hadn't let me do much because as far as I can tell she doesn't need help. She likes to have order in her work and she has a schedule. She's assigned specific days for certain areas of the house and she already has everything planned out perfectly. She doesn't really need me, but at least we can talk. It's nice to have company even though it can be a little overwhelming sometimes. I'm used to either silence or being yelled at. I'm brought out of my thoughts as I hear two sets of footsteps and I lift my gaze to see both Nico and Alessandro walking in the opposite direction.

"Amber, we need to speak with you." Oh no, what does that mean? Did I do something wrong? I feel a hand on my shoulder and I stare into a pair of dark eyes that look back gently. Alessandro. I feel my heart speed up at the sight of him.

"Hey, it's nothing bad. Let's go to the living room." He lowers his arm and the three of us walk in silence. Once we sit down Alessandro speaks.

"Amber, Nicholas will be staying here with you for a while." Why? I can see him thinking.

"This Mafia is very big. We have a whole other unit in Italy. Remember I showed you where it is on the map?" I nod.

"Well, I am the boss both here and there. I have people in charge over in Italy but I am still responsible for everything. That means that if they need me there, I have to go to take care of things."

"Ok?" I don't understand why this is important for me to know but it makes me realize just how much power he holds.

"Yesterday I received a call from Italy. There are a few issues and they need me to go take care of them. I won't be here but Nicholas is second in command, which means that he will be in charge in my absence. He will stay here in my place in every sense." I feel a slight sadness. He's leaving? I know we haven't known each other for long but when he's here I feel safe. He really makes me feel as though everything will be alright.

"How...how long will you be gone?" I look up at him hoping it won't be too long.

"I don't know." I see his jaw tighten and he isn't looking at me.

"Don't worry Amber, he will be here before you know it and besides you'll have me. You know what that means? A lot of popcorn and movies." I turn to Nicholas and see him wink at me.

"Disney movies." He whispers as if Alessandro wouldn't hear him and I can't help but laugh a little.

"I'll be as quick as I can, but the situation will require I stay for at least a week's time. You will be in great hands, I trust Nicholas more than anyone else. He won't let either one of us down." I see them look at each other and smile. I smile too, I can tell they care deeply for one another.