CHAPTER 13

Amber

Where am I?

"Do you like it?" I hear...Alessandro.

I turn to look for him and he walks closer towards me. I turn and see what I think is a beach. I realize that this obviously isn't real. And although things look unnatural and a little strange, I have never dreamt of the beach until now. Even if something about it doesn't seem entirely right, it is still a nice view. The background looks vivid, the sky full of reds and orange.

"Yes." I find myself answering.

"Good. I thought you would." Then he gets behind me and puts his arms around me. His embrace is warm, I have never felt anything like this. Right now everything seems perfect. Sadly, I feel everything begin to fade.

I open my eyes and realize I am in my new room. The sun is already shining through the window, the nice warmth on my face feels incredible. After years of being isolated from everything, I've learnt to appreciate the smallest things. I close my eyes again without the intention of falling asleep once more, rather I think about the dream I just had. It's the first time I've dreamt of the beach. What surprised me the most however, was the fact that Alessandro was in it as well. Why had I dreamt of him and most importantly, why did it feel so right to have him hold me? I feel that strange sensation in my stomach again, I don't really like it too much. I decide it's time to get ready for my first day of work. I sit up to get out of bed and I'm startled by the large man sitting in the corner of my room.

He slept here? I look at him and the uncomfortable position he is in. His neck is at a strange angle and his body is halfway between being on the couch and being on the floor. Even still, he looks so calm. Right now, in his sleep he looks so different because he isn't frowning or with a serious expression. He looks sweet, his mouth open a little. I laugh when I realize he is making funny noises, I think that's called snoring. I quickly put my hands over my mouth but he's already begun moving. Great, I woke him up. Then, he simply continues snoring. I can't stop it this time so I just laugh very loudly. I mean, looking at him now no one would ever imagine he is the boss of a mafia. Or of anything for that matter.

"Wha...Ow!" I only laugh harder. First he has a confused look and then it turns into a pained expression. I know I shouldn't laugh but it is honestly very funny.

"Huh?" He turns to look at me. I quickly become serious. Oh no, I shouldn't have laughed. He is going to be angry. Just as I am about to apologize I notice he smiles, showing a few of his teeth.

"Morning. I hope you don't mind I slept in here. The sleep just kind of took over, sorry." I feel my heart beat faster. I can't deny that he is extremely handsome and something about his messy hair, sleepy eyes, pajamas and morning voice just makes him even more attractive. He seems so perfect at times. I need to stop thinking these things, to stop feeling this way around him. I can't have feelings for him. No one will ever want me and especially not someone like him. I'm not worth anything.

"Don't worry. It's fine." I give him a tiny smile.

"Oh my goodness, I was able to sleep all night but my back hurts and my neck is killing me!" I laugh again. This is a different Alessandro, I know that I am not special but for some reason he always acts so different towards me. Ugh! Stop! Don't get your hopes up, it'll save me from heartache if I just avoid any more feelings.

"Oh um, I don't mean to be rude but I think I have to get ready. I start my job today." I hope he leaves, although a part of me really doesn't want him to.

"Right, I apologize again. I'll let you get changed while I get ready as well. You can knock on my door when you're finished and then we can go have breakfast. After that, I'll give you a proper tour of the house and finally, Melinda will tell you what she needs help with." I nod.