CHAPTER 15

Alessandro

I can't believe I have to leave for Italy. I don't want to. I don't even know how long I'll be gone. The only thing that is helping me right now is the thought of going back to my house and getting to see Amber. She is most probably asleep by now but I'll go check on her to make sure she 's fine. And tomorrow morning I can't wait to have breakfast with her. I pull up and quickly get out of my car to go inside. I open the door and after shutting it again I walk further in. I stop in my tracks at the sight before me. Amber is definitely asleep but she isn't in her bed, she is on the couch with her head resting on Nicholas who is also asleep with an arm draped over her. I trust him to take care of her and he ends up hugging her? In a fit of anger I go up to him and smack him upside the head. I hear him groan and he immediately gets up in a defensive stance.

"Oh, Alessandro it's just you. Wait, what was that for?" He asks groggily. It takes everything in me to not punch his face.

"Because I told you to take care of my house but instead you decided to play sleepover. If I tell you to take care of my house it doesn't mean make some popcorn, watch a movie and fall asleep while hugging Amber." I yell and whisper at the same time, I'm pissed but I most definitely don't want to wake her up.

"Oooooh, I get it. Someone is jealous." Nicholas taunts me. I want to say I'm not but I can't.

"Stop being an idiot!" Is all I can manage to respond.

"Look, calm down. You're going to wake her up. Let me take her up to her room and then we can talk it through like civilized adults." Oh the nerve of him. I feel the vein on my forehead pulsing.  It isn't enough for him to cuddle with her. No, now he wants to carry her too? Yeah, right! Over my dead body.

"No. I'm taking her up. And then we can talk." I walk over to the sleeping girl. Putting my anger aside, I carefully put my arms under her and lift her up. I take advantage of the situation to admire her closely. As I observe her delicate features she moves closer into my chest causing my steps to falter a little. The feelings she causes are incredible. I compose myself and continue walking. When I finally reach her room I open the door and take her to her bed. I lift the covers and tuck her in. Once she's settled I sit down for a minute and just watch her sleep, she seems so peaceful. The room is silent, filled only by our breathing. I try to fight my urges but they win and I plant a kiss on her cheek. I want her to always be this calm, to not be plagued by her past. I sigh,  Reluctantly leaving the room and ready to yell at Nicholas as soon as I see him. I go down the stairs and eventually reach the living room. I notice it is cleaned up and Nico is waiting for me on the couch. He stands up and walks closer toward me.

"So, can I explain first or are you just going to yell at me?" I glare at him.

"Talk." I contain myself and decide to do things in a more civilized manner. I know I tend to overreact so I want to avoid doing so this time. Even if it is premature, I want to change for the better. I want to be even slightly worthy of  the angel sleeping soundly in the room above.

"Look, I know you aren't upset about me relaxing in your house. I've been here before and done the same thing, the difference is that this time Amber was with me. You're jealous and don't bother denying it because even if you do, I already know the truth. Now, NOTHING happened. Amber wanted to watch T.V. and so we looked for something to see and decided on a Disney movie. Even though she was tired, she wanted to watch something after it was over and if you had seen her enthusiasm you would have agreed as well. I told her we would only watch one episode but at some point we fell asleep. It wasn't intentional, it just happened." He's right. I am jealous. Of my best friend. I'm being ridiculous and I sigh before answering, relaxing my tense shoulders.