CHAPTER 20

Warning: Contains explicit violence and suggestion of abuse.

Alessandro

As I pull up the driveway I can't help but feel excited. I practically jump out of the car and run to the door. Everyone must be asleep right now. It's far too early but I need to see her, it doesn't matter if she is asleep. I open the door as quietly as possible I put one foot inside me I feel myself being put into a chokehold. I free myself and turn to see who it was. Maddox.

"Boss? I apologize, I was aware that you were coming but I wasn't informed of the time. I think that today's events have made me a bit paranoid."

"It's alright Maddox, thank you for doing your job. Excuse me." I walk up the stairs and head straight to Amber's room. I can't wait to see her beautiful face. I quietly open the door and am slightly irritated by the sight. Amber is indeed asleep but for some reason Max is on the bed with her. As I walk in I see movement in my peripheral vision. I turn my head only to see Vincent.

"Boss." He stands and comes up to me.

"Good to see you."

"You too Vincent." It really was. We are near the same age but the way he looks up to me make me see him almost as a son. He has progressed so much. I am extremely proud of him. I realize his eyes move toward my closed fists.

"You know Max wouldn't try anything, don't worry." There is only one thing I dislike about him, he always knows what I feel.

"You are far too good at reading people." He smirks.

"I am. But to be honest Amber told me about you two in the afternoon."

"What exactly did she say?"

"Something about you liking her, I'd say maybe loving her." We hear a small moan and we see Amber sit up.

"Wha...Alessandro?" She looks at me and I see her smiling but she immediately goes serious. Why?

"Hi mia bella. You have no idea how much I've missed you. I was so worried when I found out you were in danger." I rush over to her and pull her into my arms. I am surprised when she pushes me away.

"I'm sure you were." Why is she acting like this?

"What's wrong?" I lift my hand to touch her face but she just gets out of the way.

"I'm glad you got back safe. Now, I want to sleep." She gets back into her bed.

"Amber, why are you acting this way?" It hurt. The way she is acting is making my heart ache. But I feel her next words pierce my heart.

"I just don't want to see you Alessandro, ok? So just leave me alone." What did I do? Did she get tired of waiting for me? Had I said something wrong. I realize my breath is irregular so I calm myself. I feel my eyes burn so I just walk out.

"Ale..." I heard Vince and I didn't want to be rude but I shut my door as fast as I can and lock it. I want to be alone. I let myself fall onto the floor and soon I feel one hot tear go down my cheek. This is what I get for being weak. I exposed myself like an idiot. I harden my face and push my feelings aside. I remember who I am. Alessandro Santos. Capo. If she doesn't want me that's fine. I stand and sort myself out. I open the door and walk past Vincent who is standing outside my door.

"Boss, I know why she..." I raise my hand.

"I don't care. She made it very clear that she has no wishes to see me again. I have a job to do." I walk downstairs to look for Nicholas. As I head to the medical room I see Marcos standing outside the door. I give him a curt nod.