CHAPTER 28

Warning: Abuse.

Amber

I take in the trees we pass. Nicholas and I are on the way home, things are a little bit strange between us but not too much. I sigh as I think about having to talk with Alessandro. I don't want to.

"Amber." I turn to look at Nico.

"What?" He sounds serious and I straighten up.

"Call Alessandro, we're being followed. Tell him we are on the way home about halfway there. Don't try to look at them. Is they think we haven't noticed yet then maybe they won't try anything." The phone is already ringing by the time he is finished giving me instructions. I hear Ale pick up almost immediately.

"Amber. Look..."

"Alessandro we are being followed. Nico and I are on the way home, about halfway. Please, send someone to help us."

"I'm already on it. Please be careful. I have to hang up but Amber whatever happens please remember that I love you."

"I-I love you too." We hang up and I feel the tears in my eyes. What if something happens to either one of us? What if I can't ever hug him again?

"Amber, I know you're scared but you need to focus right now. There is a spare gun in the glove compartment. We haven't seen this during our training yet but I need you to take it out and..." I feel the car being hit forcefully. We almost go off-road but Nico manages to get back on.

"Shit! Amber hold on." I begin to pray. Please dear God, don't let us die. I cry as I think about who would want to hurt me and no matter how wrong I wish I am, I know I'm not. I look in the rearview mirror to confirm my suspicions. I don't see him but I recognize the man who is driving the car. Tony. One of my father's men.

"It's him."

"Who?"

"My father." His anger and frustration grow. I hear him sigh before he speaks.

"Amber, Listen carefully." I feel the car swerve as Nico dodges the other car.

"Your keys. That black keychain you thought was weird. Take it off and..." Another swerve.

"Take it off and put it in your shoe." I move as quickly as I can while I listen to his instructions. My hands are shaking and my heart is beating quickly. Focus. I take the keychain off and place it inside my boot just like he said. It feels uncomfortable but I can manage. It's a good thing I had changed at the safe house.

"Nico..."

Crash. I feel time slow down. All I can hear is white noise. I feel the hit, the pull of my seatbelt, everything happening so slowly but my heart moving so rapidly, I can feel the car flip over and hit the ground. Once. Twice. And all I can see is Nicholas unconscious next to me. I open my mouth to scream and even if I know it's me yelling at Nicholas to wake up the voice sound foreign and far away. I feel my sight blur and everything around me spinning. I try to think of what I should do but before I can I feel rough hands unbuckle me and pull me out of the car. I try to fight them but it's no use. They are much bigger and after what just happened, I am weak. I let my body go limo in their arms. I know what's coming, I've accepted my fate. I will be going back. I'm thrown into the other car and as soon as I hear it I begin to cry. His voice.