CHAPTER 4

Amber

It's been a while since I was first put in this cell with Emily. She says it's been at least two weeks, give or take. I can't complain much because we have been fed and honestly, it's better than anything my father ever gave me. Also, the meals here aren't once a day, we get fed twice. The reason is that we apparently have to be kept well fed in order to not become too thin, although in my case I'm already practically all bones. I most definitely don't want to be here but for the time being, this is the most comfortable I've been in a while.

I turn over and watch my friend, a smile growing on my face. It doesn't matter how long I've been here, I still can't believe that in this hell I've been sent the angel I had been praying for. She probably isn't going to save me from living this, but she is at least saving me from the sadness and loneliness. Emily is extremely sweet and an overall amazing person. I've grown very fond of her and it pains me to have to see her when she has nightmares too. Before being brought here I thought my fate was unfortunate but now that I've met Emily, I no longer know what's worse. To me it seems equally tragic, having to endure torture for years and as a result sadly becoming accustomed to it or living the perfect life without ever experiencing the slightest bit of evil and have it all shattered in one moment. At least I know we have each other... for now. We haven't spoken about it but we don't have to, we both know that they will come take us out of here any time soon. From what I understood, they're going to sell our bodies. I'm more than scared but after so much I've already gone through I have learned to just get through it. Emily though is who worries me, she's going to be broken. I've never had a friend before and even though I don't agree with the circumstances I'm glad I met her because I have never felt as content as I do now. I know of the impending danger, but I've been cherishing every second I can of Emily's company.

The day I had told her about my past and how I didn't know anything about the outside world she didn't reject me like I thought she would. I was convinced that the moment I looked up I would see her looking back at me with disgust. Instead, she hugged me and began telling me everything she could about the world. First she told me more about her own life. She told me about her friends, her school, her sister, her parents, her house, how much she loved her room, her dog and so much more. When I told her I'd never seen a dog she said they are adorable.

"But not as much as you, I think." She had said.

"One day you will see one, I promise. And I never break a promise."

Apparently she had also traveled to many places and she told me about all the magnificent things out there. I learned about something called a beach. Apparently it's a place with a lot of water and people go there to float in it, I think she called it swimming. She told me about so many things I couldn't have ever imagined. All I could do whenever she spoke was stare in awe. I can't imagine what a cellphone is, or a camera and even though she did her best to explain, there were many more things I didn't understand. For example, there is something known as an Internet and with it you can see other people's faces in the form of the selfie and you can also communicate with them. There was so much I had never heard of and now, more than ever, I want to see the world.

"Hey, Em I'm going to sleep a little." She smiles.

"Sure. I think I am too." I smile back before laying down and closing my eyes.

---

I don't know how long I slept before my eyes shoot open as I hear the cell door open and two sets of footsteps walk in. We had both been sleeping so it's taking us a while to register anything and before we could, both Emily and I are pulled up onto our feet.