CHAPTER 6

Amber

"Wake uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!" I feel someone shaking me and by instinct I stiffen at the contact and shut my eyes even tighter.

"Hey, It's just me." I hear a familiar voice. Emily. She startled me. I open my eyes to look at her.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you, honey." I hear the concern evident in her voice as she speaks softly.

"No, Em. I'm sorry. It was just a reflex." I sigh. I hate being like this. I hate that I get scared so easily. I hate that even though he isn't here, I'm still careful to follow his rules. The thing that I hate the most though, is the look Emily gives me whenever I react the way I just did. I know it's only because she cares but I don't like her treating me like I'm going to break at any moment. I'm still very wary about everything but I've survived this long. I'm not as weak as people assume.

"Ok, well how about we start moving? We're the only ones still here. Everyone else is already having breakfast!" She jumps up and pulls me by the hand trying to get me off the bed. I smile and stand up.

"Let's goooooooo." She groans while making a funny face. Suddenly I hear a strange noise come from my mouth. I see Emily suddenly turn to look at me with surprise. What had happened? Is there something wrong with me? I don't feel like there's anything wrong, it actually felt nice. I watch Emily and notice her mouth grow into a huge smile that shows her straight, white teeth.

"Why are you smiling like that?" I ask her.

"This isn't a smile Amber, it's called a grin. And it's because you just laughed. I had never heard you do that. It's so cute!" She makes a sound that hurts my ears so I cover them. She knows that I have a decent vocabulary as a result from the books and studying the dictionary but there are certain things that they didn't teach me. There are things that you can only learn through interaction.

"Sorry for squealing, I do that a lot whenever I see something so adorable! Like kittens or puppies or just babies in general. Oh! Also..." I roll my eyes because I know this is going to be a long day. I love Emily but now that she is happier she talks too much.

As she continues to ramble we walk down a big hall until we get to another large room full of tables, people and...food! Emily rushes to sit down in the first available seat. I follow and sit down right next to her and begin looking at the food. My eyes land on one specific thing. Are those pancakes? I quickly take two. I search for the one thing that is missing. Aha! Syrup. While I'm pouring it onto my pancakes I feel a lump forming in my throat. As soon as I take a bite I find it impossible to keep holding the tears back.

"Amber? What's the matter?" I feel so ashamed. Why am I so weak? I shake my head.

"Nothing."

"Honey, you've already told me so much. Have I ever judged you? No. Do you think I will ever judge you? Well, in case you think I will the answer is no." Through small sobs I manage to get the words out.

"My...my mom made these once... it's one of my favorite memories...I never... thought...I would taste one again. Emily...I never thought I would even... have real food again." I can feel myself in her arms as she rubs my back.

"Amber, I know it was horrible but it's over now. None of that will happen again. You're safe. Really."  As she tries to calm me down I focus on getting my breathing back to normal.

"Come on munchkin! Let's enjoy this food." She begins to fill her plate. Meanwhile, I take another bite from my pancakes.

Nicholas

Today my duty is to basically babysit the people we rescued before the boss gets here. So, here I am walking in between tables in the common dining room making sure everything is in order. I have also been secretly searching for Amber through the crowd but I can't seem to find her. I noticed the way Alessandro looked at her and no matter how much he tries to deny it I know he felt something for her, whatever it was. I know he's stubborn and he won't try to get closer to her on his own accord. I'm going to have to help him a little. I continue my search for the girl and suddenly I see her and her friend coming through the doorway and sitting down. I discretely start to make my way to where they are. As I get closer I can see Amber grab two pancakes. I knew from the moment I saw her that she is definitely the sweetest person any of us could have ever met. While everyone else took advantage of the situation and stuffed themselves with as much food as possible she took only what she thought was necessary. I'm not judging the others, I know what it feels like to be starving but her actions just amaze me. I start to get closer when I see her beautiful eyes tearing up. I can see Emily speak to her and hug her after. I take a few more steps towards them in order to be able to listen a little bit better.