CHAPTER 7

Amber

I think he's already noticed that I'm taking painfully small steps so as to delay the inevitable. The closer I get the more my body reacts, I can feel my heart beating faster, my hands beginning to sweat and my muscles begin to tense. The thing I don't understand is why I feel so incredibly nervous. Sure, I'm slightly scared of him but this feeling... it's different. I get even closer to him and as I do, the more I can admire his beautiful features. Up to this point I still haven't decided if he's bad or not. He had saved me so if he's bad he also can't be completely evil, right? I doubt that he's a bad person at all. Not understanding where this confidence is coming from I keep my eyes set straight on him. As always his face is completely stone like, not showing any emotion. He's trying to hide his interest but I can see he is analyzing me just as I am doing with him. Again, I feel captivated by him except that this time I have a better look. I use the opportunity to take in his perfect face, his strong features and mostly his eyes. They're dark and consuming, demanding attention. I had noticed that even if he might be able to keep his face cold and hard to make others believe he feels nothing, his eyes are always full of emotion. I try to look away but for some reason I can't and I honestly don't want to. He is flawless and with just looking at him it's as if I'm in some sort of trance, not really paying attention to my steps anymore.

After a few seconds that seemed to stretch into minutes I finally reach the desk and take a seat in the chair across from him. He continues to stare at me and I start to feel more uncomfortable the longer he maintains the silence. I'm already sitting in front of him so why isn't he saying anything? I can see his face twitch slightly, some anger or perhaps frustration barely showing. It was fairly quick and if I hadn't been paying attention I wouldn't have noticed. As impossible as it might seem he straightens himself even more before finally speaking.

"Did you sleep well?" I feel a slight relief as soon as I hear the words come from his mouth, even still, I can't seem to speak so I simply nod. No matter how attractive, he is still undeniably intimidating.

"What about breakfast?"I can feel a tiny smile form at the memory of this morning.

"It was nice. Thank you." I see a slight shift in the emotions his eyes reflect, his entire face seems to soften subtly.

"Great. Well, I need you to tell me everything you can about yourself that is important. That includes your full name, your age, your relatives and basically anything you left behind when you were taken." My heart sinks. I can't tell him. But, I have to. But, I don't want to. I worry as I notice he is getting slightly annoyed by my hesitation.

"Look, I need to know these things so we can decide what the best option is for you. I'm sure someone out there is looking for you, you must have left some family or at the very least some friends behind." I want to cry. I did leave someone behind but I hope that he isn't looking for me. A part of me wants to be hopeful and think that I won't ever see him again, but the smarter part of me knows that life isn't that easy. Looking at his eyes has some sort of calming effect for me and I decide that it's time for me to answer him.

"My name is Amber...Beaumont." I hesitate because I'm not entirely sure. I'm almost certain that was my mom's last name because I certainly won't accept my father's. I have no desire to share it.

"I'm 18 but I'll turn 19 in September." I pause trying to recollect the information he's asked for.

"I...I don't have any family or friends." I won't tell him about my father. I don't want to go back to him.