CHAPTER 18

Nicholas

I know she isn't meant for me but it doesn't make my feelings go away. The moment I saw him holding her, when I saw them kiss. Everything was too much. I felt jealous. I wanted to be the one to hold her and tell her everything would be fine. I feel horrible, in a way I'm betraying my friend but I didn't choose to feel this way. I go back in the room to Amber.

"So, I heard you like stories." I smile at her while walking over to her. She nods her head.

"Hmmm. Give me five minutes to get changed into something comfortable alright?"

"Ok." She answers sweetly.

I run downstairs to get my suitcase and run back up to my room. I change as quickly as possible. I don't want to be alone for too long, she just had a traumatic moment and it isn't good for her be on her own. As soon as I'm done I grab my pillow and blanket and head back to her room. I knock before entering. She is sitting in bed and I can tell she was thinking about whatever memory she had experienced in her nightmare.

"Hey cupcake!" She looks up at me with a confused look.

"You know, that's a term of endearment. I thought of it just now, since I saw your pyjamas before." Her pyjamas were covered in cupcakes.

"Oh, ok." I hear her giggle.

"Soooo..." I go to her side and lay down my blanket on the floor and set my pillow on top of it.

"Are you telling the story or am I?" I turn to her as I ask but I only see confusion on her face.

"What are you doing?" She looks down at the floor.

"Setting up my bed." She shakes her head and pats the other side of her bed.

"Don't be ridiculous. Come sit here." I grin. I hadn't wanted to ask but she's offering.

"Thanks." I say as I sit on the bed.

"So, did you decide who's turn it is?" She thinks a while.

"I'll tell a story first and then you do. Ok?" I nod.

"Ok." I settle in.

"Well, there once was a beautiful queen with a daughter she loved more than anything. Together they did many things, her priority was to always see her little princess happy. The problem is that her husband, the king, was an evil man. He did everything he could to hurt her. Yet, she was strong and always fought through it." I hear her sigh and see the sad look on her face. This story is her own.

"The queen decided she had enough and with the help of the princess and her people she managed to defeat the evil king. She took over the land as the kindest ruler any kingdom ever had and they lived happily ever after." She was smiling sadly. She changed the ending. But, I guess that's the point of it being a story. Poor Amber.

"That was lovely. I guess it's my turn right?" She nods enthusiastically and sits up straight, turning a little to face me. I chuckle at her energy.

"Ok, once upon a time there was a kingdom that was so large it expanded to many places. Due to this there were two kings, you know, to be able to manage the huge kingdom. These kings were childhood friends but in order to rule, they had to move and live far away from each other. One king was kind and fair, while the other became overtaken by greed and a hunger for power. For a few years everything was fine. Both kings married and each had children. The kind king loved both his queen and son very much. They lived happily for a long time, but that changed when the evil king decided to take the power he wanted. He went to the good king's castle saying he wanted to come visit, the truth was that he went to kill both the king and queen. He betrayed his friend for his own interests. The young prince witnessed it all. The evil king didn't kill the prince but he decided to take him. He kidnapped the young prince and took him to grow with his own son. They went through some hard times there but eventually the evil king was defeated and both princes now held the power. They became the kings and ruled the kingdom. After a few more years, they were on a mission to help some of the town folk when they came upon a beautiful princess who quickly warmed their hearts. For now, they all live happy and I hope it stays that way. The end." Once I finish I turn to see her eyes full of tears. She hugs me.