CHAPTER 23

Note: this is the closest thing I found to what I imagined. It's Amber's 19th birthday, not 18th.

Alessandro

Things have been going well for these past two weeks. Nicholas is almost completely healed, shipments and deliveries have gone well, we've settled some big deals and most importantly Amber and I have been doing great. She seems to feel much more comfortable around me. As I sit here in my office I look at the list in front of me. Her birthday is coming up in a few days. I chuckle as I remember when I found out the exact day. I had known her birthday was coming up but I wasn't sure when. Emily has been over a few times and on one of her visits she asked to speak privately to me. At first she only threatened me, telling me to take care of Amber and to not hurt her. She told me she deserves happiness and that I had better make sure that's what she got. After assuring her that I would never hurt Amber and that she is the only girl I have ever loved she seemed pleased. Then...

"So, what do you have planned for her birthday?"

"Well I don't actually know when it is. I was going to ask her because I know it's soon."

Suddenly I feel her palm make contact with the back of my head.

"Are you stupid or something?" I can't help but feel amused as she glares at me.

"It's on September 23rd. You better make it good Alessandro or I will do unimaginable things to you. I don't care who you think you are but I will find a way to kidnap you and I will make sure to cut off your goddamn balls. She deserves everything so get to work. Got it?" The amusement leaves me and a tiny spark of fear appears. Soon I remember who I am. The mafia boss. She can do nothing. But still, I don't want to piss her off.

I laugh. That girl sure is something. So, here I am making sure everything is ready for her birthday party. It won't be big, only the closest members. I have prepared balloons, decorations, flowers, gifts and a large chocolate cake. I had learned she likes it very much after we baked one the other day.

She groans as she puts another spoonful of cake in her mouth.

"How about you slow down? You're going to get sick."

"But it's soooo gooood!" She whines.

"I know but you've had enough."

"Fine." She looks at me frustrated.

Amber. I sigh. I begin thinking about her and these past two weeks again. I have taken her to many places and we even went back to the lake a few times, I'm teaching her how to swim properly and she seem to be getting the hang of it pretty quickly. She is a very fast learner. After swimming we would have picnics which she loved and I love seeing her enjoy herself. I plan on taking her to the beach but I want it to be memorable so I am waiting for a special occasion. I remember when I revealed my hidden talent to her.

"Come." I hold her hand and drag her with me. Once we are in the room I walk up to the large wooden instrument in the middle.

"Sit." We both take a seat on the matching bench.

I open the lid and feel slightly nervous. I haven't played in a while so I am very nervous. I used to find comfort in playing the piano. It was one of the things my mom enjoyed most but soon I longer felt joy. Amber made me want to play once more.

"What is this about?"

"Well, this is called a piano. I am sure you know what music is. Music is made by instruments and most of the time, voices that sing. This here is an instrument." She is listening closely. I love her curiosity, she is always so eager to learn new things. I sigh nervously.