CHAPTER 31

Amber

"So, who are you to my cousin?" I regret not listening to Alessandro when he told me to go with him. I had decided to stay here because I don't want to distract him. I want him to finish whatever business he has to take care of but right now I'm not to sure I made the right choice. It didn't cross my mind that I would bump into Angelo. Sadly, I did and he has been interrogating me for at least an hour now. First asking me where I'm from, what I do, how Ale and I met and so on.

"Um..." Wait. What am I? I know he loves me and I love him but we have never really had a talk about it.

"The love of his life..."I hear a familiar voice come from behind me and relief courses through my body as I do. I feel his hands land on my shoulders as he stands behind the chair I'm sitting in and a smile forms on my face. I forget any doubt that had formed in my mind and repeat his words in my head over and over. I look at Angelo and I see his shocked reaction at Alessandro's words. He composes himself and simply nods slowly.

"...so it would be wise to keep your distance." His cousin raises his hands in the air.

"No need to get so defensive cousin, I just find it strange. You have never had a serious relationship and I was simply curious. There is no harm in having a friendly conversation." I don't really know if what Alessandro had told me about Angelo before we came influenced my opinion on him but in all honesty I don't like him. He makes me feel uncomfortable. I feel Alessandro's grip on my shoulders tighten slightly.

"No, there is nothing wrong with a friendly conversation but we have to go. We have some things to do. Let's go bella." I feel the tension in the air and I see both of them staring at each other with unspoken threats lingering between them. Alessandro takes hold of my hand as I stand up and he guides me towards the door.

"Where are we going Ale?" He doesn't look at me.

"I don't know. I just don't want you near him and I could tell from the look on your face that you don't want him near." He is completely right.

"Thank you. But, what were you doing there? I thought you had things to do?" He looks at me with a sideways smile.

"I did but you are much more important." I stop walking and he does as well. I glare at him...or at least I try to but I think it wasn't too effective because he chuckles.

"Stop worrying. I left Maddox and Axel to take care of it. They are more than capable, I already found out what I needed to start my plan of action. You forget that there is a reason I am the boss around here. I know how to do my job so just trust me. Ok?"

"Ok." He always manages to convince me with his words. I don't know how but it's almost as if he can control me. Suddenly a loud rumble fills the silence that had followed. I feel the blush begin to form on my face and Alessandro laughs. I love it when he does. He always smiles at me and constantly chuckles but his laugh is different. It's much less common to hear and when he does I can't help but laugh along. Once we are done I wipe a small tear from my eye.

"Ok, so now I know where we're going. We definitely need to get that monster in your stomach some food. I know the perfect place for lunch." He grabs my hand once more and we walk toward the car.

___________________________

One week. We've been here for one week already and time has been flying by. I love it here! Since I don't really want to be near Angelo alone I have been going with Alessandro everywhere and I'm glad. It's really helped me understand how things work. He even let me start training again. Today was my first day and even though I had to take it slow, it felt amazing. Right now I'm deciding on what to wear. Alessandro told me to dress nicely because he wants to take me somewhere special. I finally pick a dress and I decide to wear a little bit of makeup. Emily had taught me how to apply it a few times and I think I'm not that bad. Once I'm done I look into the mirror and admire my reflection. I had never felt attractive but Alessandro had made sure to help me realize my beauty. We are all beautiful in our own way and he let me know how perfect I was to him every single day. It wasn't until this moment that I finally see what he sees. I see a confident woman with big bright eyes full of life staring back at me. I've let the past go. This is who I really am. I am stronger than ever and I feel no more fear. I'm no longer Amber the scared girl who would flinch at the slightest movement from someone else. I'm Amber the woman who is proud of who she is and that will not accept being pushed around by anyone anymore, I'm Amber the one surrounded by amazing people who reciprocate her love and most importantly, I'm Amber the happiest one yet.