CHAPTER 9

Alessandro

After a small walk through the building we reach the familiar dining room. I watch Amber as we enter the room and notice her eyes scanning the area. Her eyes land on the table and I notice the wonder in her eyes. It's as if everything that exists in the world is foreign to her and she can't help but be amazed at everything. The truth is she's the one foreign to the world, a being so ethereal. I am almost positive that I have not met anyone quite like her. I snap out of my daze quickly and guide her and Emily to the two seats on my left while pulling out her chair for her. She offers me a shy smile but it's enough to make my heart skip a beat as we hold each other's gaze. Focus Alessandro! I need to stop these feelings.

"So...where's the food?" Emily rudely interrupts but I couldn't be more grateful. I turn my attention to the freckled girl while taking my own place at the end of the long table.

"Emily!" I can't hold back a chuckle as I watch Amber's attempt at scolding her friend.

"It's alright Amber." I try to assure her that I don't mind. Although she might come off as rude, I can appreciate her bluntness. She's direct and she isn't afraid of pissing anyone off. She's unapologetically honest, a trait I rarely see. People usually respect me or fear me and don't dare to speak in an un-respectful tone, it's refreshing in a way.

"The food will be here shortly. The kitchen staff knows it must be ready and served at the established time, which is...in about ten minutes." I pause to take a look at my watch. I look up quickly when I hear a whine come from Emily and a laugh from Amber as a response. I can't stop the ends of my mouth from turning upwards at the scene.

"I promise the food is worth the wait." Nico interrupts while offering a smile to the girls.

I can hear Emily and Nico speak about something but I have all my attention focused on the girl sitting on my left. She seems to be deep in thought and I watch her frown and look worried for some reason but before I have a chance to react she smiles and her eyes hold some sort of determination. She looks up and I can see her take a deep breath, bite her lip and open her mouth to speak.

"Um, so why were you running like that before?" All three of us look at her, although I had already been doing so. I feel a slight shock at knowing she's trying to be bolder. She spoke up instead of sitting there in silence as she usually does.

"The proper term is chasing." Emily explains to Amber.

"Yeah, but I honestly don't know what happened! He was chasing me and trying to hurt me for doing absolutely nothing wrong." Nico crosses his arms and huffs. Oh he's good.

"Absolutely nothing wrong." I repeat his words, mocking him.

"You know exactly what you did." I glare at him with as much hatred as I can.

"Don't act like you aren't happy with the outcome." How dare he try to provoke me in front of her. I choose to say nothing, the smartest thing to do is maintain my silence.

"See?" Nico closes and eye attempting to wink.

"Do you have something in your eye?" Amber asks with total curiosity. We all laugh at her comment, Nicholas has never been able to wink and she just confirmed it.

"Honey, Amber. What's wrong?" I open my eyes after laughing and watch as Emily puts a hand on the other girl's back.

"Nothing." I see the uncomfortable look on her face.