13. The "Talk"

This chapter is dedicated to chaithus.

As soon as the Yuvraj, saw that only his parents were arriving he felt partially relieved. He can't hide the fact about who his wife was, but he decided to hide her age. He made his parents comfortable and was contemplating on what small talk he could make, when Maharaj, jumped to the subject, "What is all this Vikram?" He asked directly. "Pitashree, I saw her day before yesterday night, while returning, I liked her a lot. And so...I performed Ghandharva Vivah with her..." He said. The king looked unaffected, while the queen was left stunned.

"Didn't you feel it, even a bit necessary to inform us...to bring her here, we would have got you married according to Vedic customs.... After getting you married to princess Kanaka. Now she will feel bad that she isn't your first bride." The proud Maharani spat distastefully. "Princess Kanaka...need not be my second bride." He said slowly. His parents looked shocked and this time even the great King lost his so called Patient exterior, "Meaning?" They both asked simultaneously. The king was quick to show any signs of confusion and haste on the other hand the queen was by now standing.

One thing the young Rajkumar seemed to have understood without any confusion, was that his mother was going to create unlimited Drama and troubles (for his wife). "Meaning, I have promised Varsha, that I will remain eka-patni vrata all my life." He said expecting them to explode or something. But instead his mother sat down and his parents exchanged looks...it seemed to hit them as a cold ice, the prophecy....which they had forgotten long before. "He will be eka-patni vrata." The words of Panditji, echoed in their heads. They both nodded. Initially Maharani was very happy about his son being eka-patni vrata, but now with that eka-patni not being Kanaka had made Maharani a little upset.

Before Maharaj, could register this Maharani asked, "Who is she? Who are her parents? From where did you got her?" Both the men in the room couldn't believe the way she spoke. Maharaja intertwined, "That's not the way to speak...she is our putravadu." The Rajkumar took the cue and continued, "She is daughter of a Brahmin in a village in outskirts of Ujjain. Her parents died years before. She used to teach cooking for a living in nearby village. She couldn't tell me no that day.." He picked his words with care.

"I need to see her. I am going to meet her. Rest of the things you and your father can discuss. Just know that I am extremely upset with you for betraying princess Kanaka. And one more thing, that wife of yours is surely something to first get you into the trap and then take such a promise from you." The queen said and left. "Such hastiness was unexpected of you son. Now tell me how are we going to deal with the upcoming troubles." The king said, but somewhere beneath he knew too well that this wasn't entirely, his son's fault, destiny definitely had a greater share in it.

Please vote and comment.

Thanks!