16. Politics, A Play

After great pompous when the Rajkunvar left the palace in order to inform about the happenings to their king, the young prince asked his father, "Dad, I didn't know you were planning on getting Rajkunvari married to uncle." He was curious. The proud king turned to his young son wondering how he will react to the lesson he will be thought now. But as he was about to answer they saw the queen coming, "Why did he leave so soon. I told him na, we are going with him for the marriage." She asked.

"Ya, that...we will go later. And you are not coming. What were you thinking when you said that? Don't you know that women don't come for marriages?" He asked cool as cucumber but she noticed his anger. "Maharaj that....I...I..didn't want Princess Kanaka to be sad." He ignored her answer and asked, "So, how do you like our putravadu?" She didn't reply to his question. He didn't probe it further either. "I will take your leave now Maharaj, and putra after you are done talking with your father do come to your room, I am waiting for you there." She said in a crisp voice and left. The prince gulped.

"Hmm...so to answer your question son, I would like to ask you a question." The king said. The prince nodded. "So tell me who was in your mind, Rajkumar Airavat right?" He asked and the prince nodded again. "What do you think is Rajkumar Airavat fit to become a King?" The King's question had left the prince perplexed.

If he said no, then not only will that be a lie but that will be considered as the lack of his intelligence. But how could he say yes, cause that would have a trouble to his position. His father smiled. He knew his insecurities too well. "Yes father, Rajkumar Airavat, is perfectly fit to be a King." The young prince answered, making the King proud but then diplomatically added, "He would be perfect to rule a Kingdom....much like Magadh...its natural topography, neighborhood kingdoms are all perfect for him. To give a more detailed answer, what I feel is for Bratha it will be difficult to rule a Kingdom like Ujjain which has more scattered population, more enemies and Much more prosperous and vast." He said, though he never considered Airavat as his brother. The King knowingly nodded.

"Now son, your mother was planning on getting you married to Princess Kanaka, who has no brothers and by that getting you Magadh. But we are not given any Vachan as such. So I planned on getting them give us Vachan." The king said. And he had no need to say any further. "I got it. Now you will have them convince you to get her married to Rajkumar Airavat and in return give him the kingdom. As you want your only two sons to have individual kingdoms." The prince interrupted. The King smiled, "Yes my favourite son, that is my plan. Now we just need to execute it accordingly and get the needful done. Understand son, Politics is a game in which more often than not you need to play with human thoughts and get them do what you want without them knowing. You are the best warrior. But you need to learn more about politics." The king said and left. A thoughtful prince walked towards his room completely unaware of what was awaiting him there.