36. Justice - I

Namaste! Before you go ahead and read, I want to say, if you feel this isn't justice, I and only I am responsible for the same. This is my brain child and that too fictional, please and pretty please don't hold the revered king responsible for the same.

On the other hand, if you feel the justice provided is correct, then the entire credit goes to Lord Shri Ram and Samrat Vikramaditya....

Happy Reading.... Feel free to criticize...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As everyone raised hearing the announcement of arrival of the King, the young prince's heart was racing and his brain contended. If only he would have been to Magadh in the political mission instead of his brother, he could have bought time, but as he saw his father entering and throwing him a sideways glance all these thoughts vanished. Slowly, after everyone paid their obeisance to Maharaja Veerbal, and after a few everyday rituals, the court began.

The announcer announced about the case, but the tension could be felt. The court looked rather like a war victory celebration rather than the justice providing courtroom, due to the enormous presence of warriors and artists alike. The situation was like a tornado, what had started like a surprising stir slowly grew up, collecting opposite teams, both as strong. Rajkumar finally stood up paying his respects to the Acharya of his family and gazed at his teacher, saluting him before all others, followed by the King, his mother, step mothers and then others.

"I, Rajkumar Vikramaditya of Ujjain, descending from a family of followers of the Royal Achariya, student of Gurudev Sochikesha, son of Maharaja Veerbal and Maharani Suhasini, am given the opportunity and responsibility of providing justice for the case about to be justified today. I promise to provide the right justice without partiality or biased opinion. I promise to not judge my justice seekers. I promise to adhere Nyay Shastra. Before, I start with the interaction session, I would have with everyone. I pray to Raja Ram, whose justice was never doubted, who is impartial to anyone and everyone irrespective of anything and everything and also my revered ancestors."

There was pin drop silence as he finished his long speech, it was not unheard of to start with obeisance but he had stretched it long and in a respectable fashion, but the anticipation was too much to bare in the court that day. But Rajkumar was quick add something with only increased the inquisitiveness of everyone and even a bit of frustration but had them thinking 'what was the young man thinking?' "Although I refuse to be anything other than a judge today, not a student nor a prince, neither the son or a brother not even a Kshatriya, just a human trying to provide the best justice." he ended eyeing his teacher, the ministers, his parents, Kumari Ramya who he considered his own sister and his friends who were not less than his brothers, the warriors. It was a promise he would keep, not just in this case, but in every which one he would ever deliver justice for.

"Mahoday Sochikesha, can a respectable women marry twice? Especially when her husband is alive?" the question was hurting him to ask but at the moment he didn't care, but to his surprise it didn't trouble his teacher, who was habituated to disrespecting women who were not loyal to their husbands. "No." his confident voice thundered.

A little more taken aback at the response, he threw few more questions, in a twisted manner, that would not want him to use words and terms that would disrespect anyone. "Can a couple, though related in blood perform Kanyadaan of a Kanya, who doesn't belong to the same kul as them?" he asked coolly knowing the answer very well and making everyone wonder again about what was he thinking. "No." again came the answer from his genius teacher this time in a tone that was a little subtler.

"Once married, irrespective of the type of wedding, what would the bride's kul be?" he asked again and it dawned upon the intelligent man that his student was using his favorite method of interrogation, making people say what you want to tell. "Her husband's." the domination further reduced with this answer of Guru Sochikesha.

"Then, how could you do Kanyadaan of your daughter when you knew she didn't belong to your kul, itself. The marriage is bogus as the rituals were not followed properly and the right to do Kanyadaan didn't rest with you." Rajkumar completed and saw shocked faces of everyone, he had found the loophole, but as he saw his Gurudev smirk, he felt confused.

"I also want to ask you questions, Rajkumar." he said putting pressure on the word Rajkumar. The prince just nodded.

"You married recently, right?" the Guru asked maliciously and the Prince gulped audibly. His marriage was a sensitive topic for him. He didn't wanted to talk about it, not in the court at the least. He just hoped this talk won't get him in any trouble. He nodded. "Which type of wedding was it?" the informed teacher asked. "Ghandharva Vivah." the Prince said wondering just like everyone had a few minutes ago when he was interrogating and even now, 'how does this relate to the case?'

"Hmm.... So.... Was your wife a virgin?" Rajkumar lost his cool and was about to burst when, the teacher added another question, "Okay... Leave that.. Were you a virgin?" he asked again and everyone including the Royal family was becoming uncomfortable with the questions, the king interrupted, "That's not the discussion Guru Sochikesha..." before he could complete, the teacher interrupted, "It is, respected king.... Please let me continue, I know it's not appropriate to interrogate the judge.. But I have a meaning behind my question... " the king nodded sensing the stubbornness.

"No." came the quite answer of the prince. "So, Rajkumar, how many wives do you have?" the question irked everyone for its grave stupidity but it wasn't even half as stupid as people thought it was. "One." the questioning tone in Rajkumar's voice was evident. As if he sensed something very evident was being missed by him, to be questioned such by his teacher. "How come Rajkumar, How? You were not a virgin when you were married to your only wife in Ghandharva style, it's confusing... Shouldn't you have more than one wife in that case?" asked the intelligent man.

Then in a frustrated and defeated voice, he continued, "Just by the virtue of a man and woman being together, do they become husband and wife. And if so, I wonder how many husbands do the courtesans have?" Rajkumar cringed at the nasty comment, which wasn't very rare as his teacher was a very straight forward man. But these questions clearly wronged the first conclusion was made, the case had proceeded a bit though with a big twist.

I swear, I didn't make it long Conciously, it just happened, today was supposed to be the judgement day... But... Whatever....

Pleaseeeee

Vote

And tell me what you think about the chapter..... :)