40. Injury and Enquiry

The young prince felt really sad. The scene before him was heart breaking. His wife was sitting on the bed, she was sweating and looked panic stricken, but the most tragic part was her left foot was bleeding profusely. His heart also bled at the sight of her closing her eyes tightly and crying. "It's over, it's over, Rajkumari, relax. Control your breathing. All pains are only temporary." the soothing yet wise words of the oldest maid, echoed in the bed chamber of the newly weds. Suddenly, Hira, the young maid, noticed the prince's presence and conveyed the same through eye signals to others, and they all left the room one by one.

The princess sitting in shock and dejection, didn't take notice of the same, until, the Prince neared Her and his voice rang in her ears, "Maasi, can you please stay back." The princess looked up to the Prince and her face displayed pure emotions, as if a child searching for sympathy from a mother, a wife's complaints to her husband but most of all pain. "What happened?" he asked. Though he felt bad, and his heart was crushing, his brain knew better than to believe this grave injury to be an accident. No accident in the royal palace, was an accident.

"Rajkumarji, a group of maidens, some Royal and some Kshatriya Kanya were walking by when two of them bumped into Rajkumariji, pushing her into the muddy way leading to the eastern side of the palace. If I may say..... " stretched the older woman, of fear of speaking unnecessarily and only her suspicion with no proofs, but the prince seemed interested, he gestured requesting continuation, "I very strongly suspect Rajkumari Veena to have planned this, for the girls who pushed Rajkumari, are here guests of her and also I saw the personal maid of Rajkumari Veena, in the arena, who ran, laughing as soon as the princess fell. I... " before she could continue, the prince thanked her and she took the cue and left the couple alone.

The innocent tear stained face of Varsha that he witnessed that day, would haunt Vikramaditya for long. But at the moment her voice broke him out of his thoughts which were all over the place, "Swami... " she cried and he immediately focused on her foot, which was a pathetic sight, "It's paining.... " as she broke down, crying like a toddler, he couldn't help but gather Her in his arms. "Shh..... It's  all going to be fine. Calm down." he said caressing her back to make her feel relaxed. She became comfortable in his arms, hiccupping and crying still, But it had reduced considerably. "But why did you even get out of the palace?" he questioned a little irritated at her. "And that too, to such a far part?" he pulled away from her.

"That, I wanted to see the lake inside the palace, the one surrounded by hibiscus flowers, I heard that there is even a beautiful statue of Vignaharta there. So..... " Her glee was mesmerizing for him, but he put on the strict mode again, "So, would you venture out alone? Don't you think it's necessary to even ask your husband's permission?" he chided with her. "But, I also heard there was rare blue lotus there, and.... " she again explained but he cut midway, "So,  what? Even if there's heaven there, shouldn't you have asked me as a responsible woman?" his words came out harsher than intended. And with her fat tears rolling down,  he immediately flipped to his normal self, "Dear one, the reason why I am so particular about this is that....." he sighed, failing to reason out the situation to her without revealing about his past or without making her shiver in fear. "Look, just listen to me." he concluded and she nodded, pleasing him was always a priority to her. "I will. I won't go out without your permission. Sorry for today." she said meekly, but her pain was slowly subsiding and the heavy dose of medicine making her feel sleepy. He nodded, satisfied and hugged her to him, glad that she was safe as he pulled back placing a kiss on her forehead, he could see her eyes dropping. "Sleep, I will wake you up by the time of lighting lamp." he said and she couldn't be more happy, to have gained some rest.

Placing her in the bed, he sat at the corner of the bed, staring at her fragile sleeping form, he couldn't understand, how would Princess Veena, even be in his palace complex? The glory of his successful judgement didn't please him anymore, with the next issue in his shoulders to carry. As he sat there, remembering his past with the princess in suspect, he found that it was infact, very much possible that the princess was actually responsible for his wife's condition. He had been in a relationship with the princess, but they had separated amicably, infact in the insistence of princess herself. Then why? The questions twirling in his mind needed answers and as he got up to find out, he faced Hira, the widow maid. Her eyes were fixed on the princess and her face showed concern but she quickly gathered herself and handed over prince a letter. It was not sealed and from the spreading of the ink, in its edges, it could be said that it had been written recently. It read,

Dear brother,

Just came to the palace, I already heard the news of your judgement and I am greatly impressed by your wits. But, it's a shame for a prince of your stature to not be able to protect your so called beautiful and commoner wife. Would be there in a few minutes to collect my dagger and of course extend my hearty enquiry of your wife's injuries.

The prince felt astonished at the wordings of the letter and there was no doubt left on who it's writer was. He opened a secret drawer in his jewellery storage and pulled out an small dagger with golden cover studded with blue sapphires,the gems shinning brilliantly. As he pulled the dagger out, it was unlike any other sharp yet handy. He sat in the balcony with the dagger in his hand, contemplating the occurred events and the actions needed to be taken for the same and the time passed. He suddenly heard a voice and turned to see his very stunning sister, standing there with pride dripping from her body language. Her eyes caught his and she smirked, "Oo, spending some last moments with the rare treasure?" she asked raising her eyebrow, eyeing the dagger in the prince's hand. And before he could answer, a sweet yet strong, low yet determined voice echoed the room, "Who are you?" and thus both the sharp, royal pair of eyes of the siblings turned towards the voice.

Please Vote, Comment, Share.

Review, pleaseeeee, tell me what you feel about this chapter or the story in general?

And who's the voice?

Thank you!