17. An Encounter.

A.N:- Namaste, my dear readers. As I have told earlier, this is Samrat Vikramaditya's journey, so there won't be story from Varsha's POV. However, I have decided that I will make a book for her, BEING A EMPRESS. What do you think? Will you like it?

As Rajkumar was entering his room he ordered the soldiers to not make announcement. (In those days when prominent people entered the soldiers used to shout that they are entering.) He went in and was shocked. He saw that his wife was not wearing any jewellery except for her hair dressings. Her uttariya (duppata) was crumbled and not placed properly and though her head was covered, it looked as if her veil would fall any moment. He observed for the first time that her body had marks caused by his teeth and hands. But she also had faint red marks which he assumed that was due to heavy jewels. Her face was tear stained as she was looking down.

His mother on the other hand was blazing with rage and was looking with disgust at his wife. He cleared his throat and both the women snapped their head in his direction. His mother's eyes though softened a bit on seeing him still held great anger. On the other hand he could see relief seeping into the eyes of his wife. "Swami..." she mumbled. He came closer to the two. And after observing more intently his wife's poor condition turned towards his mother and asked, "Mother, you wished to see me. What is it?" He asked as if he just hadn't seen his wife.

This behaviour of his pleased his mother. "Yes Aditya, I wish to speak to you. Come to my palace we can talk over there." She said throwing a last glance at Varsha and added, "I must say your wife is blessed with a beauty suitable only to Apsaras, sadly her attitude is also the same." Tears flowed in eyes of the new bride. And though she tried she couldn't stop the sob that escaped her lips. "I will be there in a few minutes mother." He said. That was her cue to take the leave and she did.

He turned to his wife. He understood why she was crying his mother would have said things that are inappropriate for her. "Swami.." she cried a little. He could tell something was going on in her mind but couldn't clearly make out what it was. "Love wear your jewels. And wait for me. I have to go now. I will see you later." He said and left. He was walking go his mother's chamber but his mind was occupied with the woman he left behind. She really couldn't fit in here. She is too fragile, submissive and innocent. But his main concern at the moment was not her fitting in here. That was far. His immediate concern was her surviving here in his absence, he was starting for Magadh in a few days. Thinking continuously he failed to realise that he was already in his mothers chamber.

"Aditya." His mother spoke with dripping sweetness. He felt nervous. "Come. Sit." She told. Giving her his effortless smile he sat down. "So you married a fourteen year old Brahmin girl in ghandharva style and promised her to remain eka patni varta....hmm...you have done it big...it seems..uhh?" He stared at his mother.

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT.