37. Justice - II

The oldest man in the courtroom stood up and everyone would have followed his suit out of respect for him, but he showed his hand that gestured people to be seated. The royal acharya though was feeling highly offended spoke regally, "A judge provides justice Mahoday Sochikesha, so even though he may be your student, at present he is not. Disrespecting him would be disrespecting the court and myself." he spoke as his eyes blazed at the younger old man. Sochikesha felt confused as to what he said was offending, but immediately smiled some. "No offence meant. But my point is that, just because of a physical relationship between a man and woman, they don't become a couple and thus, Ramya was still my daughter belonging to my kul, when I gave her hand in marriage to Kalakar Aadyot. As her father, and a Brahmin by birth, I had all the right to do that. Ghandharva Vivah is not just limited to the physical union of a man and woman but a promise of a lifetime companionship. So, there is no point affairs of my family and that of my revered son in law's comes to court thus." he completed and everyone finally started seeing what he meant but the question still remained in everyone's mind that the Prince rose.

"Agni is unnecessary, in a Ghandharva Vivah Mahoday and so are any other witnesses. It's just a man and woman thought not limited to the physical union but it's still just a man and woman with a promise and intention of togetherness and companionship. I still don't get your point. How are you saying Kumari Ramya, was unmarried when you performed her Kanyadaan?" the Prince asked a little hesitant as his eyes caught a sight of Ramya's eyes watering. He tried to ignore it and continue with proceedings ignoring the stab in his heart. But he was not the only one who's heart was being stabbed by those drops of water. "You can ask the concerned parties about the promise part, revered Prince." his teacher spoke yet again and he turned to the commander in his army ignoring the prominent eyes on him. "Mahoday, what do you have to say?" he asked but, the general too seemed to have a way with words as he also questioned the Prince. "Prince tell me, is the promise required to be vocal. Isn't the intentions to be taken into account too? Did you tell your wife to be your wife, in those moments of passion? The promise is a must, but it being vocal is not.... Your brought the princess with you because you could, before I could the King summoned me. I have to be in the Royal service. Is this what I am going to get for my unfazed dedication?" he asked again and the Prince felt vulnerable for a moment, he never could have even imagined in his dream that one day a topic would become so sour for him and that too if his, Marriage! But that was not the only pinching point, after the completion of this monologue of Mahoday Aadyot an immediate support could be sensed from the soldiers who were present in the court in such a large number.

"The intention alone does no good Giriraj." Rishi Sochikesha addressed his junior. "You didn't find a moment to inform me? To do anything the right way, you asked prince a question and I am sure that my student would have promised her the position as his wife. That needs to be vocal. You didn't find a moment for it?" the arguments put the king to thought as it did to others. Both seemed right as they spoke but as soon as they stopped this case seemed solution less. "Aah.... You mean to say, until the intentions were exchanged through eyes, your daughter would have indulged. Do you think she is that characterless as some people you mentioned earlier?" the audacity of  Giriraj's question shocked even him as it did everyone else. He didn't mean it. A loud sob of Kumari Ramya could be heard. It was literally her life and character being such openly dissected and discussed in the courtroom. There was a moment of silence and the lack of comeback from her father crushed her heart even further. The Rajkumar who had decided not to give any importance to emotions and be a good judge, couldn't bare such insult to a honourable woman, who just looked a criminal in the hands of situation. That would be the first injustice. As he decided to step in, he heard a voice so loud like in some war and of someone who he never knew could be violent. "Quiet." he thundered. It was Kalakar Aadyot. "That's my wife you are talking about. No one questions her character or chastity." he wasn't looking at anyone but his fragile form looked terrifying. And the Prince was also stunned as anyone else. Who knew this man, artist and soft spoken by nature could look and speak like that?

But the turn of events was a much needed relief to the prince's brain. His juggling thoughts seemed to fit in. "I think many times as in life, even in this case we asked the wrong question." the Prince said thoughtfully. "Who's wife is Ramya? No, that's a wrong question. The question is, Who is Ramya's Pati(husband)? Means protector. And Kalakar Aadyot was the one who protected the honour of Kumari Ramya in this filled courtroom. I declare that Ramya is Kalakar Aadyot's wife." he said with confidence and though a flash of guilt and hurt flashed in the eyes of both the people who fiercely argued and the face of the man who won remained passive, prince was convince he was right when he saw a calm spread on the face of Ramya. He knew he took the right decision, but her approval made him happier! And the lack of questioning in the part of Giriraj further proved the same. But, this was the easy part! Now, he had to provide justice to someone who had not seen even a leap year!

Please Vote, Comment, Share, Follow and Review!!

Thank you!

Please tell me was this okay?