Lance X Reader

⚠️Self Hate, Depression!⚠️

"Hey guys"  you said as you walk into the room. "Where's Lance?"

Everyone exchanged glances. There was a long silence in the room as everyone tried to think of what to say to you. The new red paladin.

"We... we"  Allura struggle to find the right words.

"We sent him back to Earth," Keith said stepping forward. Your heart shattered. Lance had been the only reason you were still alive, you were still sane, you were still in love.

"Why!? He done nothing wrong. He's a part of the team." You yelled.

Keith sighed. "There was nothing he could do... Allura took over Blue, you took over Red. He would have just been sitting around."

"He was more than that to the team! You all know it! C'mon, we need to get him!" You exclaimed, waving your hands. Everyone sighed and exchanged glances again.

"He wasn't going to be able to contribute-" Allura started.

"How does Coran contribute? I mean, Pidge could probably run the whole thing on her own and still look for her family and the entire castle would still be in better condition. Why don't we just send him back to Arus?" You snap. Coran, looked surprised and hurt, but said nothing. "Why don't we just send, Shiro back too? He can't fly the Black Lion anymore. What's the point of keeping him around?"

"(Y/N). You need to understand-" Hunk tried, but she sighed angrily.

"None of you get it!? We are all valuable to the team. You just shot, Lance down because he can't fly, Blue? I couldn't fly a lion until Shiro disappeared. Why'd you keep me around."

"Because you made us better-" Pidge sighed.

"Exactly! We all make this team better. If you're kicking, Lamce of the team I'm leaving. With, Red."

"He's already at Earth. It'd take too much time to get there and back to fighting." Allura sighed.

"Really? Couldn't you just open a wormhole for me?" She stayed quiet and you laughed bitterly. "I can't believe this. You guys don't actually want him here. Do you?"

Silence.

This is what, Lance was talking about when he said he knew he'd probably leave soon.

"I'm going back to Earth." You spun on your heels and ran to the hanger.

No one even tried to stop you.

~*~

You finally landed on Earth, you tracked the pod, Lance had used to get here. He had landed at a deserted beach, with no sort of civilization for several miles. You climbed out of Red and saw Lance wading into the water, slowly. "Lance!" You screamed and ran towards him.

You pulled your helmet off and kept sprinting. "Lance!"

He glanced back at you, and you suddenly stopped and took in the sight of his face. His eyes were bloodshot, and puffy. His cheeks were tear stained and his hair was in all angles. "(Y/N)... just go back to the castle."

"Lance, what are you doing here? You need to come back!"

"There's nothing for me in space, there's nothing for me here. My family thinks I'm dead anyways." He shrugged turning back to the water. "I just want to be left alone."

"We need you back there. We're not a team without you-"

"Yes you are. You've got six Paladins. You don't need another one sulking around. I'm no good to the team if I can do anything." You walked towards him quickly and pulled him into a hug. He cried into your shoulder and you stroked his hair.

"Even if you can't do anything to contribute, I still love you, and I still need you, Lance. You're the only reason I fight." You smile as his grip on you tightens. He falls back into the water holding onto you, soon both of you were submerged and sinking. You out your helmet on Lance as he presses his hands against the front.

"I can't see anything." He whispered, you could tell he was trying not to cry anymore. You held your breath and you held him tighter as you both sunk, further and further down. Your ear popped from the pressure. "(Y/N). I can't see anything." He moved his arms and wrapped them around you.

Your lungs were screaming for air and you knew you had to go up. Right as your feet hit the bottom you pushed back up, still holding onto, Lance and you both shot to the surface. You sucked in as much air as you could and gasped. Lance hugged you tightly . "I'm sorry."

"Lance, shut up. I don't care." You whisper as you begin to tread water. "I just want to be with you."

"I want to be with you too."

"Can we go back to land?" He nodded and you both swam to the shore. Lance threw your helmet into the sand and you removed your armor, leaving you in you wet t-shirt and shorts. Lance was also soaked to the bone and you smiled softly as he took your hands.

"I can't come back through. I'm not worth anything. I'm better off somewhere where I won't screw everything up."

"You have to come back. If you don't I'm not going back either."

"But... the others need you to for, Voltron-"

"I need you more than they need me." He smiled brighter and squeezed your hands.

"Care to dance?" He asked, back to his smug self.

"There's no music."

"Let nature be our music." He proclaimed.

"That sounded super cheesy," you laughed and he pulled you close, resting his arms around your back and you clung to his neck.

You closed your eyes and Lance lead you into a soft sway. You smiled and listened to the chirp of crickets and the sound of the rolling waves, the slight howl of the wind. It was pretty good music.

"(Y/N)!!!" A voice screamed through your helmet. You groaned angrily and slipped it on

"What!?"

"We need you! Lotor, he's back and we need Voltron!" Keith yelled.

"Do it without me, or with me and Lance!"

"We can't-"

"With. Or without." There were several sighs.

"Just both of you better hurry back!"

"Be there in five!" You turned to, Lance. "Get in Red. You're back on team Voltron."

"I love you so much!" He threw your helmet off and kissed you before pulling away to help you gather your armor.

"I'm sure red won't mind if we share a lion." You said as you both ran into the lion. "Isn't that right, Red?"

She responded with a roar and, Lance grinned. "I'm so ready to show those jerks who's the best!"

"Don't go crazy," you laughed and you quickly put on your armor while, Lance sat in the pilot seat. "Bring us to the castle. It's time to hand Lotor's head back to him on a silver platter."

"Together." Lance grinned at you.

"Together," you agreed sitting in his lap, both of you handling the controls.