Burn part 3

A few months passed, and jake had been released from the hospital, promising he'd visit every day until the day i get released.

If I ever get released that is...

To me, the hospital is literal hell. The constant feeling of self-conscious about my burned up arms, my stupid lisp, and lack of leadership from my Squip. Needless to say, it makes someone absolutely miserable. especially after the play. Once the events of the play happened, Chloe and Brooke got together as a couple. Michael and Jeremy are still pining for each other, but are friends again, Jake is back in a wheelchair, and everyone thinks he looks badass, Christine is still her chipper self, Jenna is the writer of the school news letter, everyone is happy.

Except me.

I'm just an idiot who burnt down a house and is still laying in the hospital, unable to breathe without a goddamn machine. Then you add the fact I'm probably dying and all is well. The doctors won't tell me when I can leave... they probably haven't even thought about it... I glance at the clock on my phone. Last period of the day at school. Jake should be here soon. He always visits after school when he doesn't have practice, and brings me my homework.

I groan, shoving my face in a pillow. "Rich?" A voice asks, making me look up. "Huh? Michael!" My eyes widen slightly, surprised to see the male in front of me, Michael smiles slightly, waving. "Hey dude" he says, sitting in the chair next to my bed. "What are you doing here?" "Skipping out of last to see you!" My eyes widen slightly, before a smile emerges on my face. "Really? Shit man awesome!" Michael laughs quietly, a smile still clear on his face. "Glad to see you're feeling better" he compliments, putting his backpack on the ground. "I smuggled some good shit in for you, since the food in here is garbage" I lean over the side of the bed, trying to see what Micheal is doing in his bag. He pulls out a giant snickers bar, and hands it to me. I gasp, taking the chocolate out of his hands and ripping open the package, desperate to taste something good.

"How did you know snickers was my favourite?" I ask, savouring the flavour of the heavenly chocolate bar. Michael smirks triumphantly. "I didn't, I asked Jake and he told me" he replies, zipping up the bag and leaning back in the chair. "Huh... I didn't know Jake knew my favourite chocolate bar..." Michael watches me eat the chocolate for a moment, before jumping up from his chair and walking over to the window, opening the curtains. The sky is crystal blue, without a single cloud. A perfect day to be outside.

"What day is it today?" I ask Michael. I haven't exactly been keeping track. "Uh... January 12th I believe" he glances back at me, "dude we should go outside" he says, a grin on his face and I adjust my glasses. "I can't, the doctors will kill me" Michael frowns, slumping down to the ground like a child. "But Riiiiich-" "Michael no!" He sighs, before laughing quietly. "Don't laugh at me Tallass!" I joke and the two of us burst out laughing, only for me to be interrupted by coughs.

"God those coughs sound like hell" Michael says, a grim look on his face. "They are... but hey, I'm not coughing blood as much so... that's a plus!" I respond, trying to lighten Michael's mood. He just stares with wide eyes. "You cough up blood?" "O-only on occasion!" My voice cracks as I wave my hands defensively. I didn't want many people to know how bad I actually am. I don't want anyone to worry about me more.

After a few minutes of small talk between me and Michael, one of the many doctors I've seen walks in. "Good afternoon Rich, and Michael, how are you two feeling?" The doctor asks both of us. Michael was released from the hospital due to the party a few weeks before the play. Apparently me and Jake weren't the only ones who barely escaped the fire... "I've been feeling great!" Michael exclaims with a grin, I nod in agreement. The doctor smiles at us. "Well Rich, I have some good news for you." I sit up in my bed, intrigued by the doctors words.

"We've decided to let you go home in a few days. We'll have a nurse come by and visit twice a week to check up on you, but you'll be free of the hospital. And if all goes well in a few weeks, you'll be put back in school. Is that alright?" I nearly choke at his response. My eyes are wide and my hand is over my mouth as I slowly start to nod. "Oh my god yes! Absolutely! That's incredible!" I exclaim, bouncing up and down in excitement. The doctor chuckles with a nod. "Wonderful! We'll see you out tomorrow around 5:00pm, got it?" I nod once more, a grin on my face.

The doctor leaves the room and Michael jumps up, grabbing his phone and so do I. "We have to tell everyone!" Michael exclaims, texting the group chat:

Gay: GUYS HOLY SHIT
Bi-furious: WAKE UP ASSHOLES CLASS IS DISMISSED
Pink berry: what's wrong?
😄💄🐾: you Alright, Rich?
Bi-furious: YOU HAVE NO IDEA
Jakey D: bro what happened?
Gay: should you tell 'em or me
Germ: Michael why aren't you in class?
Gay: skipped
Bi-furious: ANYHOW
Bi-furious: GUESS WHOS GETTING OUT OF THE HOSPITAL TOMORROW
Jakey D: no fucking way
Germ: DUDE THATS AWESOME!
Juliet: omg Rich that's incredible!
😄💄🐾: we're definately going out and celebrating tomorrow
Jenna's Rolling: who wants sushi?
Bi-Furious: oh my god please
Jakey D: hell yeah!

The next day passes far to slowly as I pack what little belongings I have at the hospital. When I walk I still have a minor limp, and as long as I don't run my breathing is fine, other than that, I feel like I move just like normal. I throw my backpack over my shoulder as me and Jake walk out of the hospital to his car. "You're sure you're okay with me moving in with you? I mean, it's your apartment" "dude I'm positive. I don't want you living with that jerk of a Father you have. Plus, you were the one who suggested it" I laugh quietly before nodding. "I'm just happy to be out of that hell hole" I say and Jake nods, opening the passenger door for me. "Oh my what a gentleman" I compliment and we let out a chuckle.

After 2 weeks, I'm able to go back to school.
After a month, me and Jake are in a relationship.
After 8 years, we move into a new, improved house as a newly wed couple.

But it doesn't matter how long of them being together. It doesn't matter how happy the two were, there was always one thing that stuck in Jakes brain. One thing that still kept him up at night scared. "he's young enough for it to heal, but it's only a matter of time..."

It's only a matter of time...

And Rich had no idea.