Ghost part 1

⚠️possible trigger warning⚠️school shooting

school shooting

Michael was never the 'popular kid' in school. He didn't have any friends, no one at home most times, and no one to talk to. Especially when he really needed it. What he did have was social anxiety and the inability to talk to someone like a normal human being. So making friends was extremely difficult.

It was normal day for Michael. Sitting around the hallways of the school, headphones on and music blasting. The hall was empty and quiet. He liked getting to school early, before any other students got to the school for the early morning classes. He just enjoyed the calmness of the third floor hallways, the dimness of the sun through the old faded windows, the lingering smell of Axe body spray in the boys washroom, it calmed him.

It was about 7:20am when the lights turned off in the hallway. The lights were automatic, and they only turned on when they sensed movement. This wasn't new for Michael, nor did it phase him. But at 7:27am, the lights flickered back on, startling Michael. He pulled his headphones off, glancing around the hallway. He didn't turn them on by moving...

Something must've set off the sensor.
So he stood up, and began walking down the hallway, trying to find whatever made the lights turn on. It was extremely unlikely it was a student. Perhaps it was just the janitor. He continued walking, but froze when he heard a noise. It sounded like someone walking up the stairs. He glanced toward the nearest stairwell, furrowing his brow as he walked toward it.

"Hello?" He asked, glancing down the staircase. The sound he had heard stopped abruptly, and after a brief moment of silence, a small voice called back, "Hello" Michael jumped when he realized the voice was coming from behind him. The teenager whirled around, seeing a boy, a bit taller than him with hazelnut coloured hair and piercing blue eyes. He could feel his face visibly heat up.

"Who are you?" The boy asked, tilting his head at the shorter one. "M-Michael... Michael Mell... Who are you...?" Michael asked him, and he smiled warmly, making Michaels heart melt. "Jeremy. Jeremy Heere" he replied in a quiet tone. Jeremy's eyes locked on the others, and Michael forced a smile. "I Uh... I haven't seen you around here before" he commented, walking past Jeremy, hearing the other follow. "I haven't been here for a while" Jeremy replied, making Michael nod. He assumed the other meant summer break, which had just ended a week ago.

Michael plopped down in his normal seat, ushering for Jeremy to sit with him. The two boys talked for a while, realizing how much in common the two had, and for once, the two didn't feel lonely. A few people began to walk down the hall, then more and more. Jeremy noticed this and quickly stood up. "I need to go..." jeremy said finally, glancing around at the new teenagers.

"Do you have an early morning class?" Michael asked curiously, wanting to know if Jeremy was being legit, or just needed a shitty excuse to not be seen with a loser like Michael. "Y-yeah... early morning... I-I better go... I'll catch you later!" And at that moment, it was like Jeremy completely vanished into thin air.

After that moment, Michael and Jeremy had became extremely close friends. They had began to see eachother every day before school, and Michael saw Jeremy pass by his class every now and then. They waved at each other and continued wth their daily routine. It wasn't until after Michael had asked Jeremy to hang out after school one day, did he realize Jeremy wasn't... normal.

But soon enough, everything clicked for him. It took him a while, but he figured it out. Jeremy talked a lot about some girl named 'Christine' who went to the school. But every time he asked about her, Jeremy never said anything, and all the other students had no idea who she was.

The last few weeks of school were rolling around, and Michael was bustling. He was studying hard for his exams, anxiously waiting for a letter from one of the colleges he applied for, and was one of the editors for the year book. Him and a girl he knew, Veronica, were assigned to look in past yearbooks, to find good design ideas for the grad photos.

So there the two were, yearbooks sprawled out around them between the years 1983-2016. They sat on the floor in the library, flipping through the many books. School had been done for a few hours, but the librarian decided to stay in late, letting the two work. Michael broke the peaceful silence between the two. "Hey Ronnie..." "Yeah?" "Do you think these would have any info about someone named 'Christine Canigula'?" Veronica looked up from her book, "of course... she was a victim" Michael tilted his head at her. "What do you mean...?"

Veronica searched through her pile of books, before pulling out the yearbook for 2004. She tossed it to him. "I'm 2004, there was a... shooting here. They never caught the man who did it. All they know is, he went by S.Q.U.I.P. There's a memorial page in the book for the students who were hurt, or..." she didn't finish. Michael felt a chill down his spine as he opened the dusty book.

He flipped through the pages, until finding one that read "to remember" on it. He read through the names, looked at the pictures, and read the mini quotes beside the names. The description read, "A memorial for all of our friends. Their thoughts and memories will always be with us"

Christine Stephanie Canigula
Grade 12
The drama queen.

William Jacob Dillinger
Grade 12
Everywhere doing everything

Richard Gerard Goranski
grade 12
Small and furious

Evan Ben Hansen
Grade 9
The acorn we knew and loved

Jeremy Will Heere
Grade 12
Self proclaimed loser

John Anthony Laurens
Grade 10
Raise a glass to freedom

Connor Michael Murphy
Grade 9
Never a bad guy

Michael reread the page multiple times, his eyes wide. "Something wrong...?" Veronica asked when Michael stood up. "Michael?" "I'll be back I have to go meet someone" he clung the book tightly to his chest, and ran out of the library, leaving an extremely confused Veronica in his tracks.

"Jeremy!" Michael yelled, standing at the top of the stairs where he and Jeremy always used to meet. But it wasn't Jeremy who met him. Instead, it was a girl, around his age, with a weak smile on her face. "Jeremy isn't here" she said in a quiet tone. "What?!" "Jeremy is never here this late at night. He's only here during the day, protecting the students from... him" The girl replied, looking at Michael with a blank stare. "Him...?"

"The Squip... and now he's out, following him... watching him... waiting for his next victims... and-" the girl is cut off by Jeremy appearing, a terrified look on his face. "Christine I have news" Jeremy said. the girl who Michael Came to realize is Christine, perked  up instantly. "What!?" Jeremy glanced at Michael, already able to tell what the twos conversation was about. "Christine... he's coming back... and he's not backing down this time..." Christine's eyes widened, and Michael felt a pit in his stomach.

"He's coming back to the school, and if he dies, he's taking this place with him"

I'm so sorry for not posting guys... I've gotten really self-conscious of my writing, and I'm becoming really hesitant to show it off  (thanks English class) but I'm trying my best, and I'll try to post more. I love you all :)
-Bean