The Squip Pt. 2

⚠️physical Abuse, Attempted Suicide ⚠️

It's been just over 2 years.

No one would believe you if you said I wasn't popular freshman year.

My SQUIP told me to claim I went to a different school, the worst part is many people believe me when I say it too.

But all of that is behind me.

Now I'm one of the popular kids. No one would even dare mess with me. Unless they want to get punched that is.

Walking down the halls now is such a different experience. Instead of getting pushed aside and ignored, people move out of my way and smile, and wave, and I'm appreciated.

But... do they really like me for me? I think to myself as I push open the front door to my house, tossing my gym bag on the floor. I feel an electric jolt through my body, making me cringe. "What did we say about these thoughts, Richard? This was what you learned on day one" "I know, I'm sorry." I look up at my SQUIP, who gives me a disapproving look. "How long until dad gets home?" I ask, walking up the stairs to the kitchen.

"Approximately 10 hours, 36 minutes and 48 seconds." I glance at the clock as I walk into the kitchen. "So... 7:00am..." I mutter, shoving my head into the fridge to find something to eat. "Correct. Be careful leaving the house for school tomorrow morning, he'll be up waiting for you." I groan, collapsing in one of the chairs at the table, pulling out my phone to aimlessly scroll for hours on end. "Friendly reminder that Jakes Halloween Party is coming up next weekend. That's the time you should try to get a new girlfriend" my SQUIP instructs, "Yeah sure... got it..."

I feel another zap of electricity go through my body, "what the hell was that for?" I ask, my voice cracking slightly. "You need to get a girlfriend, Richard. Or you'll look lonely." I make a face of confusion at my SQUIP, "But what if I don't want to be in a relationship with any girl right now?" The computer scoffs, shooting Daggers with their eyes. "You cannot seriously be back on the Jake thing again. I told you already, Jake is straight. He will not like you back, and even if he did, you would be the talk of the school. And not in a good way..."

I look down at my feet, nodding quietly. Recently I've been feeling things I shouldn't be for Jake Dillinger. Which is terrifying considering he's my best friend. He's also recently been with the theatre chick, Christine. I find it odd that out of anyone, Jake likes Christine. Now don't get me wrong, she's an absolute doll. I just didn't realize she was Jakes type.

"You should be heading to bed soon, you have an early morning tomorrow."

When I first got my SQUIP, I was very hesitant about how it would effect me and my fathers relationship. We were incredibly unstable and generally bad towards each other. It still is. But my SQUIP has helped me avoid that asshole like the plague. When I wake up for school in the morning, I can hear the drunken footsteps of my father stomping down the stairs. I feel my heart rate quicken as his footsteps draw closer to my room.

I sit up, staring at the door to my bedroom. I cringe as I hear my fathers fist pound on my door. "Richard Get your ass up it's time for school" he says from the other side of the door, "y-yeah dad got it..." I'm silently thanking god my door is locked. "I recommend avoiding him on your way out the door today, Richard. Jake will be here to pick you up in an hour."

Getting myself ready for school is the easy part. Getting out of the house is what's difficult. I sling my backpack over my shoulder, opening the door to my bedroom silently. I slowly creep up the stairs from the basement. I head to the kitchen to grab an apple for breakfast, and just when I think I can get out the door Scott Free, I feel a hand on my shoulder.