chapter 53: life goes on

tyler and josh weren't friends.

they were more than friends.

boyfriends, to be exact.

they had all been together again for a total of a year now, and things seemed to be looking up.

tyler and josh actually hugged and held hands regularly.

though they didn't kiss.

not yet.

ellie had her eye surgery, and both tyler and josh were there with her in the hospital the entire time.

gus was as happy as ever, constantly eating goldfish and doing what they deemed 'gus gus dancing.'

ruby had slowly started to get more comfortable around josh. even starting to let him hold her even while they were in public.

which was a big step for them both.

tyler and josh were...

well...

dating.

they were dating.

josh asked tyler to be his boyfriend eight months after he moved back in, and tyler said yes.

'yes, of course,' if we're getting technical.

they would go out on a date alone once a week, leaving the kids with uncle beebo and uncle ryro.

tonight, they went to the movies.

they were sitting in their seats when about a quarter way through the movie, josh realized tyler was looking cold. he immediately took off his jacket and handed it to tyler, which made them both blush and smile shyly.

half way through the movie, josh yawned and stretched his arms up, one ending up around tyler's shoulders.

tyler giggled at how cheesy it was, but he happily leaned against josh's side and held his hand as his boyfriend's arm was wrapped around him.

"t-thanks for the date," tyler said with a shy smile as they walked out of the cinema.

"it was my pleasure," josh said with a grin. "who would've though i'd end up with such a beautiful boy as my date?"

tyler blushed and giggled, holding onto josh's arm as they walked to the car.

they then picked up the kids and drove home, putting each child to bed.

"goodnight, tyler," josh said as he took one last glance at his boyfriend who was falling asleep on the couch.

"goodnight, joshua," tyler replied, hugging his boyfriend tightly.

"i'll see you in the morning, ok?" josh said, brushing tyler's hair off of his forehead.

"ok. g-goodnight," tyler said, squeezing his boyfriend's hand.

"you know i'd still be more than happy to let you have the bed," josh said.

tyler smiled at josh's thoughtfulness, shaking his head. "no, it's alright, j. i promise."

josh sighed and nodded. "goodnight, tyler. i um... i-u love you," he said quietly.

"goodnight, my dear," tyler said.

josh then got up and started to walk up the stairs, stopping when he heard tyler's voice.

"oh, and josh?"

"y-yeah?"

"i-i love you too."