chapter 71: happy birthday, ruby!

"happy birthday to you! happy birthday too you! happy birthday, miss ruby! happy birthday to you!" tyler sang, walking into ruby's room holding a red velvet cupcake with a candle on it.

"awww! red velvet's my favorite, tyty!" ruby squealed, kissing his nose before blowing out the candle.

"you're five now, honey! you're growing up!" he said, tears in his eyes as he sat down on the bed next to her.

"do i get this as my breakfast or do i hafta wait till after dinner?" she asked.

tyler smiled and kissed her cheek. "yes, sweetheart. you can have your cupcake for breakfast."

ruby smiled and happily ate her cupcake as she sat in tyler's lap, continuing on and on about how much she loved cats.

it wasn't often she got time alone with her dad.

let alone, both of them at the same time.

"hey, birthday girl!" josh said with a grin as he entered the room, picking her up and spinning her around.

"hi, daddy," ruby giggled. "where're ellie and gus gus?"

"i just dropped them off at uncle daldal's so us three can have the whooooooole day together," he grinned.

ruby smiled widely, hugging both her daddies tightly.

"so what do you wanna do, princess? anything you want. they sky's the limit. it's your big day," josh said.

tyler and josh both wanted to make the day special for their sweet ruby, doing whatever she wanted.

"could we go to the bookstore?" ruby asked.

tyler smiled and nodded, and everyone got ready for their bookstore adventure.

ruby picked out well over twenty books, but tyler and josh couldn't care less. they just enjoyed seeing ruby so happy.

not to mention, ruby insisted both tyler and josh read about the books a piece to her while they were still actually in the store.

they then took ruby to get her nails painted, and ruby really, really wanted josh to get his done too.

so he did. he and his daughter had matching pink nails.

and they couldn't be happier.

next, they took ruby to go get mac and cheese for lunch, which made her incredibly excited.

"daddy?"

"mhm?" tyler responded as he looked through the menu.

"could you tell them not to sing happy birthday to me? it's only good when you do it," ruby said.

tyler blushed and smiled, nodding his head and kissing her temple. "of course, sweetheart."

they then went to the park followed by the pond that was by their home.

ruby loved naming the ducks.

and by that time, it was 5 pm.

they went out for dinner, ruby saying she would like mac and cheese again, so they went to the same restaurant. 

when they arrived home, it was 7 pm.

"ok, miss ruby. you ready to open you presents?" josh asked with a grin.

"but daddies! i already had the perfect day!"

"well, princess. you deserve an even more perfect day!" tyler exclaimed.

ruby opened several new dresses and skirts, even more books, lots of art supplies, and four new stuffies.

"we have one more surprise for you, princess. we saved the best for last..." josh said with a smile, getting up and exiting the room.

he then returned a few minutes later with a soft, snoring kitten in his hands.

ruby gasped and started to tear up. "she's so cute!!! awww, daddies!! can we keep her?? pleeeeease??"

tyler giggled. "she's all yours, princess. you get to name her and everything."

"olivia! olivia venus! but we can call her olive!" ruby said excitedly, holding the kitten in her arms and kissing its head.

"sounds perfect, sweetheart. but there's a reason daddies got her for you. we know we spend a lot of time with the twins and you don't get as much time with us as they do, and it isn't fair to you. at all. and sometimes you say you just need a friend. so we got you olive. so whenever daddies are with ellie and gus, you'll have olivia all to yourself. she isn't their kitty, she's yours," tyler said.

ruby smiled widely and kissed both her fathers' foreheads. "thank you, daddies. this is the best birthday ever!"

and so ruby went to sleep after six bed time stories, olivia snuggled up against her.

oh, how happy their princess was.