chapter 52: goner (pt. 3)

it was six months later.

one year after the incident.

"hello?"

"j-joshua?"

"o-oh. t-tyler..."

"i um... i made a decision. i would like you to be a part of the kids' lives."

"r-really?"

"yes."

"w-would you all possibly um... possibly like to move back here?"

there was a long pause.

"wouldn't it be a bother?"

"no. not at all. please, come back."

"a-alright..."

//

after one more month, tyler, ruby, eloise and augustus were all moved back into their old house.

with joshua.

when they arrived, nothing had changed. they had their old rooms and clothes back, and there was finally food in the pantry.

"tyler, i-i'd like you to know that if i do or say anything that makes you uncomfortable, you have to tell me."

"o-ok."

"f-friends?" josh asked hopefully, raising his eyebrows.

"friends," tyler whispered, looking down at the floor.

ruby, gus and ellie didn't call josh their father anymore.

instead he was 'jishjish.'

and only 'jishjish.'

"i'm going to go grocery shopping. anything specific anyone would like?" josh asked, looking at his guests.

"g-goldfish pwease," gus said quietly.

"ruby? anything for you?"

"n-no thank you," she replied almost silently.

"c-could you maybe get some apples for ruby? s-she's been wanting them for a while but w-we couldn't afford them..." tyler said shyly.

josh quickly nodded. "of course. i'll see you all later."

//

josh returned a couple hours later with several bags of groceries in his hands.

including two containers of every flavor of goldfish the store sold and ten apples.

tyler had been in the shower and he didn't notice josh came in until he saw him downstairs making dinner.

and he noticed a new vase full of carnations placed on the counter.

they were his favorite flower.

joshua remembered.

he walked down the stairs, walking up to josh and standing an awkward distance away from him.

"w-would you like any help making dinner?"

"no, thank you. it's actually going alright. just sit down and relax. the kids are taking their naps," josh said.

tyler sat down at the kitchen table, shakily taking a sip of the tea he had made earlier.