Chapter One - Reverse

--Tobias

Rehab has done her well.

It's been almost a month since Tris's trial, and she's almost a whole new person compared to who she was a month ago.

She can stand on one leg for a good amount of time, she's eating just about two meals a day, drinking enough, and able to bathe herself with little assistance.

She's also just starting to use crutches to get around. They say once she gets the hang of those, she may get the go to leave the hospital.

I've been anxiously wanting to bring my German shepherd, Indy back to see her. I'm still hesitant to do so though because of how the last meeting ended between them.

I think things will be different now though.

Every time I'm able to come and visit her in rehab, she asks about Indy.

I'll bring her pictures and videos of him doing simple tricks I've taught him on my phone that she is amazed by.

I think she's more amazed by the technology than my ability to train my dog...

Well, she was a positive aptitude for Erudite, so I guess it does fit the description.

Another thing she has gotten better with is speaking in general.

The doctors aren't sure if they'll ever know what caused her to not speak. Psychiatrists say that is was purely fear induced because in new situations she still will continue not to speak. A certified throat doctor of some sort told me that it was from some kind of overexertion, such as screaming, that just messed up her vocal cords and they had to heal.

I'm the only one convinced it's a mix of both, along with her regular doctor she's seen at the hospital here in Erudite, Dr. Marie Scott.

I've been seeing less and less of her since she does not work in the Rehab section of the hospital where Tris is now located. Tris does tell me how she stops by every chance she can to visit though. She's a young doctor, probably ten or so years older than I am, so Tris is her longest lasting patient, and she's one of the first people Tris learned to trust when returning to Chicago.

As I walk into the rehab center, I'm surprised to find Tris in a wheelchair.

She physically expressed her fear for them a few months back in the spring when I offered to take her on a walk outside.

On one of her talkative days here in rehab, she expressed to my how they always led her to bad things, but she doesn't actually remember.

That's another thing the doctors can't explain: these blank memories, as they call them, that she has.

Basically, she remembers something about something, but she doesn't know what it means, what it was, what was happening, or anything around those lines.

It's basically like she has a bad feeling about it from her past, but she doesn't know what happened in the past to cause her to fear it.

A brain surgeon said it could've been caused by a hard blow to her cranium, causing her to forget just a period of time.

It's just so hard not knowing what has happened to her.