Chapter 64 - Butterfly Effect

—Tris

Within ten minutes my apartment goes from silent to bustling.

Rose refuses to let go of my hand as she lays on the floor, her right leg seeping through the bandages I put on it.

Thomas is practically screaming in the other room, and I'm grateful that Shauna let's herself in instead of knocking when she arrives.

"Tris?" She calls.

"Back here!" I yell as Rose sobs. I put her head in my lap and hold her as I catch Shauna up to speed. She holds my son in her arms, his thumb in his mouth as he is happy to be held.

"People from the infirmary should be showing up soon. Can you wait for them and tell them to come back here when they arrive?" I ask and she nods.

"I know," I say when I see Rose is angry with me.

"You don't," she sobs angrily.

I mean, I actually don't.
But I kind of do.
I kind of really do.

"You know I do." I release her hair from its bun and wipe a tear from her cheek. She's trembling, and I worry it's not from fear but from blood loss.
She hasn't bled too too bad here, but she did bleed a lot at home between the bed and the shower.

I hear Thomas screaming from the other room, clearly upset with my choice to stay with Rose and leave him with Shauna. I feel a tear run down my own cheek as Rose closes her eyes in my lap.

"Stay with me," I can't control the shake in my voice when her hand is limp in mine.

-
Have you ever heard of the butterfly effect, Beatrice?

Derrick walks in a circle around me, staying outside the radius of my reach from the chains attacked to the support pole in the ground.

"One small, minor decision can change a whole complex of complications."

I shake under my skin.
I killed a man yesterday.
But if I didn't, that man would have killed many.
All these women I have been training with would have been sent to New York if I didn't kill him.

"The chaos theory revolves around a butterfly flapping its wings, something so small, yet it could cause a hurricane, maybe in the future."

"This drug," He pulls out of his pocket a powder. "Has a similar aim."

I hear people moving behind me.
They're coming to hold be down.

"One small decision, Beatrice." David is talking now. I snarl, not recognizing myself. "You couldn't let your brother sacrifice himself. And now you're here, destroying the program we have all worked so hard to form."
His hands are clasped in front of him.

"This is ultimately harmless. As long as you stay in this building, it is simply oxycodone. However, upon small effects, such as exposure to daylight, attempted relief through other means of medication, and cases of high blood pressure and release of adrenaline, the effects will be astronomical."

I look at Derrick, and he smiles at me, his stained brown teeth glaring at me.

"You brought this on yourself, Beatrice." He says. "One small decision, and the butterfly effect will make your life a living hell."

"Because there is no one to blame for the effect," he pauses, running his index finger down my jawline. "Except for you."

And the powder is jammed up my nostril as hands hold me back from convulsing and attacking.