Chapter 28 - Letting Go

— Tris

I groan as I sit up in bed, sharp pains shooting down my leg. Looking over at my phone, I see that it is three in the morning.

I won't let the pain win.

I lie back down, flexing my foot a little to try and relieve some of the built up pain: it's a ritual of movement that usually never works, but at least I feel like I've tried something in my frustration.

"Hey," Tobias rolls over from his stomach to face me, his voice heavy with sleep. "You alright?"

I take a deep breath, letting out a sigh.

"I don't know how you do it, Tris." He says, knowing from my face that I'm in pain.

"I don't. That's the problem, I can't do anything about it."

"Come here," He says rolling onto his back, his voice groggy.

I try to edge my way over to him, but the pain in my leg causes me to suck a breath in and I grip the sheets in pain.

I don't even notice him move to my shoulder until his strong arms wrap around me, pulling my head to his chest.

His one hand holds me close while the other continues to stroke down my hair.

I try to focus on him: his breaths, his touch, his heartbeat, his scent. I focus on anything except the pain taking over my body from my leg.

"I love you." He barely whispers.

I nod off before ever getting to respond.

+ + +

"Alright, what else..." Ian says sitting in his desk chair outside of his office door.

This is how ambassador meetings are run. We all pull our chairs outside of our offices and sit in the doorway. We informally fill the hallway and barely anything gets done because of how dysfunctional the group is.

Today is our last big meeting as a group before this year's visiting week. This past week I have been working alongside Ian organizing the event, making times and dates for events and meetings, and making a list of what needs to get done this final week.

"Oh, yeah! The story time sign up is posted by Tris's office. Please fill up the slots and make sure there's at least one person each day before doubling up dates. Tell a story about your times here in Dauntless and/or Chicago or just talk about something related to not idiocy. The more gruesome, the better. You all know the drill."

"You mean I can go up and tell a story about my love for cake?!" Uriah pipes.

"Dumbass," Marlene replies. "He said not idiocy."

"Someone please sign up when Uriah goes who has a decent story. Something that will make them forget he ever got up on the wall in the pit to talk in the first place." Ian rolls his eyes.

Everyone laughs while Uriah pouts at the reply he got to his question.

"Tris," Ian looks to me. "What am I missing?"

I hate that he does this.
I'm not in charge, yet he looks to me when running this damn event.
It's his job, not mine.
Just because I am basically his secretary for the organizing of it doesn't mean I need to speak for him.