Chapter 75 - Done

Chapter 75 - Done

— Tobias

"Hey!" I cant resist the smile on my face when Tris answers the phone she smiles back at me, clearly trying to hide the fact that she looks exhausted.

"I miss you." She replies directly, making my heart pang. "Where are you?"

"Amity. Things are going good, trust me. I can't legally talk about it on the phone or text about it right now, but trust me, it's good."

All the leaders of Chicago came to a solution: give Peter to the Bureau, but tell the citizens of Chicago that he was executed. Peter has already left the city in the hands of the Bureau, but a statement has yet to be made to the public.

"That's good!" She smiles and I know from her eyes that it's sincere.

My heart just pangs every time I talk to her.
I feel like I've left her, and I hate it.
This is my eighth week being gone now, and it's been eight weeks too long.

We sit, both looking at each other through the lens. Just knowing her, I know something is off.

"Tell me." My voice comes out quiet, soft, just like I intended.

She sits silent for a minute and I see her processing what she's trying to say.

"I, well, I've started remembering things again, Tobias," her eyes don't meet mine, even if it is through both of our phones.

I sigh, unsure of what to say.

"I've been writing down everything, literally everything I remember. Tobias, I feel like I have a hold on all my memories since halfway through age seventeen." Her voice sounds hopeful, but her eyes scream so many other things.

"Are you okay?"

Forget this.
I'm taking a train home today.
She's remembered things before, and I know how it goes, and I can't be on the other side of the city knowing she's struggling way over—

"You're not running home. Tobias I'm fine." Her speaking breaks my thoughts. "Writing the memories down has been helping; almost therapeutic. You can't stop your business trip right now, right in the middle of it."

Her eyes tell me the truth.
The truth that she's okay.
She's not lying to me.
She actually is okay.

I nod, telling her about how I have a meeting in an hour with the head Bureau soldier stationed at the fence.

"I miss you." I tell her as directly as she told me earlier.

"I know." She smiles softly.

I didn't think I would be gone for more than two months.
But I found myself jerked awake by a phone call from Amar during the month of November: eight months after I left just days after my son's second birthday. At the time I was asleep in a bunker where the Dauntless fence staff sleep. The Bureau was refusing to relinquish their soldiers, and against Tris's preference I was just two days out from my own trip to negotiate with the Bureau.

I told her I wouldn't go if she really didn't want me to.
But I planned on going.
And I was going to.

But suddenly I wasn't.
Suddenly that trip no longer mattered.

— Tris

I sigh, pressing the red button to hang up the phone. Laying back on the bed, I noticed I've been talking to Tobias for an hour now, but it's still only six-thirty in the morning.