Chapter 60 - Him and I

— Tris

I hate myself for it, but I find myself nodding off as I stand during Chris's wedding.

I miss my baby.
He was so upset when we left him at my parents' house. This is the longest I've been away from him since he was born, and it's only been eleven hours since we dropped him off.
He's only five months old. It's too soon to leave him for over a day without me.

Tris he's fine. I mentally slap myself. He has formula, his crib, and Mom and Dad. He'll be okay.

I look over at Rose who is on the other side of the alter in a parallel row of bridesmaids to mine. She, along with everyone else is wearing the same navy blue high-low dress that I am. She smiles a small smile at me that I reflect.

Christina got over the fact of her boyfriend coming as her plus one, but he doesn't have a part in the wedding obviously. I still don't know who he is, but I assume he is in the crowd of both Will and Chris's families and friends in the seats of the hall.

"You may kiss the bride!" I snap back into reality when everyone in the seats cheer as Will dips Chris and their lips meet.

I smile for them, taking pride in remembering the first days of their relationship until now.
They were my first two friends once transferring to Dauntless.
I couldn't be happier for them.

+    +   +

"So many pictures!" Cara laughs as we finally sit down at our assigned table in the banquet hall. I sit next to Cara with Tobias next to me. Caleb is on the other side of Cara. Bea is also with my parents, so it is just the four of us instead of usual six.

Christina surely wanted as many images as possible to remember her and Will's big day.

"Yeah," I laugh, mentally thanking the amount of staff training I've been doing that has helped my body return to a similar form of what it was before pregnancy.

"How's Thomas?" Caleb leans over to see Tobias and I around Cara. She nods as he asks the question, as if to say she also is curious.

"He's holding his head up on his own now," Tobias smiles and continues to brag about his son babbling, pointing at Indy and rolling on the floor.
Oh my boys.

I smile gazing at him while he gushes about his son. He doesn't really seem to know where to stop talking until he is interrupted by dinner being served.

We eat, a few friends of Caleb and Cara's joining the table before we finish our meal and leave to find our friends.

"I want to find Rose." I tell Tobias and he nods, waving to Zeke and Shauna across the room.

"They have cake!" Zeke says once we are close enough to hear. Him and Tobias have a heart to heart about cake while roll my eyes, earning a laugh from Shauna.

"Have you seen Rose? I wanted to meet her boyfriend," I ask Shauna.

"I had seen her leave with someone for a while," She says, her eyes squinting. "But that kind of looks like her over there." She points across the room to a tall female in the same navy dress that Shauna and I wear.

The woman, who I assume is Rose, seems tense.
I've spent a good amount of my life studying people— not being able to find the words to speak, but before my eyesight left me, I learned how to read people.