Chapter 40 - Homesick

— Tris

All the days I have spent back home in Abnegation seamlessly blur together.

My father has returned to work, and my mother has become my full-time nurse at all hours of the day.

It has been three weeks since the night of the attack.
Three weeks since I was suppose to of gotten married to the man I love.
Three weeks since I made love to the man I love.
Three weeks since I've seen the man I love.

Tobias just woke up in Erudite Med last week, his concussion causing him to slip into a small coma for a week.
At first I panicked when my mother mentioned a coma, but then she explained it was his body giving his brain time to heal from the massive injury it took.

He does not have any memory loss, which I am extremely grateful for. And his shoulder that was dislocated is healing quickly, but will be casted for the next two months.

I sit up on the couch and slowly swing my legs over the side. I've been getting better at standing up on my own, but it still hurts terribly.

I follow my current morning routine of slowly moving across the living room, past the front door and stairs upstairs, across the dining room and laundry room to the bathroom. About halfway there every morning I grow nauseous and have to speed up my walking to get to the toilet in time to throw up.

I assume it's from stress and grief, but each day is still getting slightly easier.

"Beatrice, have you been puking blood? My mother asks, as she has been every other morning.

"No," I reply, leaning over to hurl again. Today she ignores my general request to leave me alone and enters the bathroom, kneeling down on the floor next to me and rubbing my upper back.

I carry on for my usual three minutes of puking before flushing the toilet and standing, today with the help of my mother.

"I'm worried about you," she feels my face and looks me in the eyes.

"I'm alright, I promise Mom."

I move to the sink to brush my teeth and then fix my sleep-minded ponytail.

I forgot how useful mirrors were.

"I'd really like to try and get you upstairs today to shower."

When I don't respond, she adds in, "It will make you feel better."

"Okay," I nod, still feeling queasy.

I make my way out of the bathroom slowly. Since being in Abnegation, I've been wearing a pink-ish red colored shirt and brown baggy pants, both I think picked up while in Amity.

She's really worried about me.
I can tell just by the way she looks at me.

"I'm okay," I turn and wrap her in an embrace. "Really, I am."

We stand there in each other's arms for a while just enjoying each other's presence. We are interrupted by a knock on the front door, and my mother leaves to go get it while I make my way to the kitchen and brace myself on to counter.

"Hi, um, Mrs. Prior?"

"Hello, what could I do for you?"