Chapter 16 - Swelling

++ Please answer my question/ give your opinion in the previous chapter's author's note! Thank you!! ++

Chapter 16 - Swelling

—Tobias

Today's a happy day. It's proof that things are moving in the right direction.

Her and I both have to go to work this morning, but her appointment over at Erudite to get her cast removed is at two this afternoon so we will leave after lunch.

It's stressful- constantly going between Erudite and Dauntless. A few times Caleb and Cara offered us a room in their apartment, and Josh had even offered, at the time Tris wasn't working, me to work from there.

Tris had actually really desired doing that, and I originally had felt guilty for so heavily suggesting we make the commute back and forth, but Marie had told me how despite it being easier, getting Tris use to Dauntless would be better earlier.

Her mental state still does jump around, but anyone who expects anything more than perfect from her after all of this is extremely irrational.

When I say that, my mind only pictures West.

After her cast is removed, we come back here for the night, then over to candor tomorrow for her yearly trial.

This year, they're making it public. I worry only because of how she's always in pain after getting a cast changed, and this time she's getting it off completely. I worry about where she will be mentally; her anxiety always worsening largely when she's in pain.

I love her so much, but I cannot save her from herself.

It kills me.

+   +   +

"I will still be going around on crutches for a while. I wish my leg was that well, but I have to do therapy for basically forever until I can actually put a large amount of weight on it." I hear Tris from the other room.

"Just keep your patience, please." I hear Ian, our head ambassador reply. "I don't think I can survive you being gone for so long with another surgery. These animals literally almost killed me."

"Ha," she chuckles. "You're gonna have to get use to it."

"Hey," I walk into their conversation, kissing Tris lightly on the lips when she turns to me.

"Well, I won't hold you. See you both later, and good luck, Tris." Ian says, genuinely smiling.

"Thanks," She replies. "I'll text you later, we still have to plan the month's meeting."

"Will do."

"Hopefully soon we'll be able to take the train," I comment as we walk towards the car I rent out for a few hours each time Tris has an appointment.

"Yeah," she comments monotonously.

My father taught me to drive before I chose to leave. Since he was a leader, it was not considered selfish for him to have a car. Since barely anyone in the city has a car, there also is no laws as to how old you have to be to drive. I started when I was fourteen.

I open the passenger car door for Tris and take her crutches and put them in the backseat. Turning the ignition, I turn down the road towards Erudite.

"What'd you do this morning?" I make small talk.

She shrugs her shoulders and doesn't reply.