Chapter 45 - Short and Sweet

— Tris

"Thank you all for coming," Josh begins. "Now I know you all have short attention spans, so I will try and keep this quick."

"This is not unusual," he motions to the lack of ambassadors around the table that is normally used for leader meetings. "It happened before Ian took the position as head ambassador himself after the Faction War."

Just over half of the ambassadors have quit their position, many deciding that they have aged out, for only the youngest of us are left.

Evelyn was among the many to leave her position. Not needing much income for simply herself, she decided she wanted to look for a less demanding job and allow someone the position who would enjoy it more.

I usually find myself among the rowdy group of the ambassadors, but there is a whole other group of older, more wise members. Some of them were more enjoyable, while others were always around for simply business.

Almost all of them left their positions now.

"I know we're all trying to move forward," Josh's voice breaks my thoughts. "And those who have chosen to leave are doing just that. It has been eight weeks since we lost our dear friend," he stands quiet for a second.

Shit.

"He did not leave me the papers upon who was suppose to take his position."

There is silence in the room, but for some reason it is not awkward.

I am sure I am the only one finding my heart racing and face turning hot in the whole room.

"It has been Dauntless protocol for generations that positions are handed down via the former of the position. Usually, the predecessor lets the person whom they have chosen know of their choice, or they leave behind papers either with me or somewhere in their desk. Considering things happened unexpectedly, and Ian was never one for organization—"

A few people chuckle and I join them.

His organization was always my job.

"I'm not asking for anyone to name themselves in front of the group right now, but if Ian left papers for anyone, or ever hinted at leaving the title to one of you, please do address me as soon as you feel comfortable. In order to move forward past all of this, we need to be able to have a head ambassador for hiring new ambassadors, along with many other tasks. I'm not sure what we will do in a scenario where no one was left the position, but we will deal with that when it occurs."

"It was me," a female voice says, sorrow-toned. I turn my head in shock across the table to Kaylee, a lean, tall brunette woman, who I feel, has never has been fond of me. She scans down the table at each one of our faces before her eyes land on Josh at the head. "Just weeks ago he was talking about paperwork with me, and he said out of the blue, even I was shocked by his randomness, that if he were to ever be gone that his job would become mine. I didn't want to think about it, upon his passing. But I guess we all have to move forward, right Josh?" She continues the sorrow in her tone through her whole speech, and I wonder how much of it is true.

I think about standing up, walking away and grabbing the papers out of the drawer of my desk.

But what if she was right?
She couldn't be.
Those papers were addressed to Beatrice Prior.
I had clearly seen my name on the line when I looked at them.

"Let us meet in private, Kaylee," Josh says. "The rest of you may go, unless there is further questions."

I find myself automatically walking back to my office, my head down, not engaging conversation as I walk.