Chapter 46 - Perfect

— Tris

"Now I can properly wish you a happy birthday," my husband takes my face with his hands and presses his lips to my cheek after I emerge from puking my guts out in the bathroom.

Twenty-six years old.
Gosh, I'm old.

"You better not be planning anything. There's already enough going on today," I sigh, wondering if I'll ever give in to the holiday of celebrating one's birth.

My stomach is still doing flips as I lay my head on his chest, my legs propping themselves over his legs. He wraps both arms around me, holding me close.

"How's your shoulder?" I ask. He got his cast off last week, and today we are going over to Erudite for an imaging of his shoulder and an ultrasound of my leg. They're also going to order bloodwork for me to be sure I do not have an infection causing my nausea.

"Sore," he replies shortly.

We sit in each other's company for a long while, and I groan when I finally lift my head to look at my phone.

"We have to leave in five minutes," I lift my head from his chest. "The train will be here in ten."

"Alright," he releases me from his arms and I go into our bedroom to grab my boots.

"Hey there, sweet boy," I scratch behind both of Indy's ears when he puts him head in my lap. "I have to put my shoes on, so you have to move," I laugh.

"See you later," I press a kiss to the top of his head and stand once my boots are on. He wags his tail, following me.

"He's really mellowing out as he gets older," Tobias comments.

"He's barely seven years old, Tobias!" I exclaim. "You're acting like he's as old as me!"

I take his hand in mine and he surprises me when he presses his lips to mine briefly and passionately. We head out of our apartment hand in hand to the main building where the train stop is.

We arrive outside just before the train gets there, and I am grateful we are not out in the cold for long.

Christmas is a week away, and today it is snowing, just like it does basically all winter in the city of Chicago.

The train is warm when we get inside and take a seat. Not many people are traveling today, most likely because of the snow, so there is just a few other people in the car we picked.

I take Tobias's hand in mine and play with his wedding band on his ring finger. Spinning it around his finger and watching it reflect small bits of light.

Erudite is not a great distance from Dauntless, so it is not even five minutes before we are outside of the medical building and back in the cold.

First we go to the radiology section, and Tobias checks in at the counter before sitting next to me in the waiting area. We sit in each other's company until his name is called. He gives me a small smile while releasing my hand and follows the nurse back behind the door.

I would have gone back with him if there was a purpose for me, but because of the radiation I cannot be in the room with him for the X-Ray, so I figured I might as well just stay out here.

I find myself staring at the small Christmas tree with blue and silver balls on it, and I somehow pull a memory from my head.

My first Christmas back in the city, I was still in this hospital, in critical condition. I don't recall much from the time, but I have a clear voice telling me about these trees.