Chapter 35 - My Fight

— Tobias

My world is spinning in circles.

I'm tasked to call every squad leader individually and wake them from their slumber  to tell them to come and fight for an unknown reason. Then each squad member is to call each member in their squad and are to assemble in the training room.

Some don't respond the first few callings. It makes me worry.

We are only calling squads 11-25 right now, our leagues of middle strength fighters.

1-10 are the super sleuth range, we will call them next.

Any numbers after 25 are people deemed not perfectly fit to fight. I am grateful that Tris is still classified among these people.

My deepest fear is that they came back for her, that they don't want a fight, they just want my fiancée.

She's sitting across from my desk right now picking at her fingernails in anxiety. She's refusing to leave my side, and I'm not willing to let her leave my side.

"I guess this means we're not getting married today," she comments out of the blue as I hang up the phone. She doesn't look up from her hands, a piece of her ponytail loose and dangling in front of her face. She pushes it behind her ear when she looks up at me, her blue-grey eyes meeting mine and I instantly feel her fear.

I want to marry her.
So badly.

"As soon as this is all over, I will be yours and you will be mine."

"Legally," she chuckles knowing we both already are each other's.

"Legally." I smile.

"The main building is secure, but there has been a security fault at the Pire and the West side," Greg, another leader alongside Tobias comes to notify him. "The first ten squads that have been called are ready for action when deemed applicable, and notifications have been sent to members that we are on lockdown individually instead of over the intercom."

"Is there a plan of evacuation?"

"If an exit opens up, the squads of 26 and numbers higher will be assembled to assist in an evacuation of members, but that's if an exit can be secured."

I look at Tris, knowing she is part of the small squad of squad 26.

She will be called to fight, or at least be present in the field, despite her background of so-called distrust.

"Thanks for the update," I nod and Greg exits.

"You're not going out there," I comment bluntly.

"Tobias—"

"Beatrice, I am not loosing you. Especially on our wedding day."

"Tobias it's protocol. Besides, I'll just be leading evacuation."

"You and I both know that's not true."

They're going to need as many people as possible in the field.

There will be no people to evacuate because everyone will be deployed in a squad, everyone will be busy.

Tris's phone lights up on the desk, a notification coming through. She looks at it, then looks up at me.

She's been deployed already.

"Tobias, if there's any chance that any person can help or happen to know what these people want, it's me."