Chapter 11 - If Only

—Third Person

"Look at you go!" Doctor Scott exclaims, Tris fluidly making her way down the hallway with her crutches.

She moved at a solid pace by herself. Enough nurses are around that they don't worry about someone being with her on her travels at every second.

Tris smiles gently, only the outer corners of her mouth moving upwards slightly.

Dr. Scott follows her on her journey back to her room. Over her shoulder lies her bag of doctorly supplies and it makes noise with each step she takes.

They reach the room and Dr. Scott holds the door for Tris as she makes her way over and sits on her bed. The sun shines through the window as the new day is just beginning.

"How are you doing?" The doctor sits at the foot of the bed near Tris's calf that is still covered in a thick, pale skin colored cast.

She shrugs, "Alright."

"You know, I think so too.

The couple is silent for a few seconds, Dr. Scott contemplating what to say next.

"The only thing left is to change this cast, and if everything is alright under there, you can go home that week."

Tris's eyes dull at the idea of a home.

She doesn't have one.

She would have to go through Dauntless initiation again with the new set of rules put in place since she left.

"Is everything alright?" Dr. Scott sees her saddening eyes.

"Yes," Tris pushes it aside, knowing that if she ever does want to make it back in Dauntless, she can't act like that.

Dr. Scott nods, stands up, and digs through her bag. She begins a series of normal tests such as blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature on Tris.

"One thing that hasn't changed since you showed up was your high blood pressure. I've tried looking back in your files, but considering you were Abnegation, the last time you had been to a doctor was to get a mandatory vaccination at age thirteen, and no kind of tests other than temperature were done on you beforehand. I want to say that this is new since you've come home, and probably from stress and PTSD. It's not a huge deal, but it is enough where it would be safer to prescribe you something to keep you calmer."

"I don't want anything put in my body."
Tris says strongly and without breaking the sentence.

"And I don't want you dying because of such an inconsistent heart beat. You could pass out and get hurt even more, Tris. All it takes is one minor blow your leg, such as falling on it, and you're right back in the hospital where you started."

Tris holds her ground, her eyes staring into Dr. Scott's. She has no reply because she knows the doctor is right, but she still doesn't want more drugs in her body.

"I see your concern Tris, and I can't even begin to imagine what has happened to you that I don't know. Not all pills are bad, Tris. I, for one, will never do something or give you something with the intent to hurt you. You know that, right?" She looks into Tris's eyes.

'She's lying. The whole world, this whole city is out to get me. No one wants me here. I'm only a nuisance. She will be the one to give me the drugs that will kill me.' The girl's mind panics.