Chapter 33 - Monumental Towel

++ Okay I don't do this much but please at least skim my authors note at the bottom!++

Chapter 33 - Monumental Towel

— Tobias

I have to say, I enjoy no longer being an initiation instructor. It was fun while it lasted, and I do not miss it.

There is so many requirements to meet, things required to teach, and it's stressful when mixing all the factions together to learn.

Those requirements use to ignite me: make me love my job.

Now they make me not miss it for a second.

I usually stop by once or twice during initiation, just to be nosy, and because I'm required to as a leader.

It's a requirement to have two instructors, one of each sex, with each group, both transfers and dauntless born. Also, siblings cannot teach siblings. These are rules that probably should have been set in place ages ago, but Dauntless is modernizing for the better.

At least unfair advantages weren't payed attention to a few years ago.

Zeke took my place with the transfers when I stepped down to become full time leader instead, and he is living his life to the fullest loving the job. Christina usually teaches the transfers alongside him, but this seasons she had to switch with Lauren, who is still doing initiation after all these years, to take the dauntless born because her sister, Rose is among the transfers.

Walking around the initiates punching the bags, I take note of how laid back initiation is now compared to how brutal things became when Tris went through it.

Sparring is called off as soon as one member hits the floor or concedes.

Knife throwing is minimally taught because of its lack of use in the field.

The only thing that really has not changed is the fear serum final.

It's finally an initiation I approve of.

I bid my goodbye to Zeke from across the room and head through the Pire to the Main building.

Tris is always on my mind.
It's like I'm addicted to thinking about her, worrying about her, wondering how she is.
I'm addicted to her.

As I walk I think back to how frustrated and worried she was a month ago from her appointment in Erudite where she was diagnosed with tendonitis and told to not use her boot. She has been getting around perfectly fine since even without her crutches and her pain has been minimizing.

I just find myself in awe of how far she has come, how much she has accomplished.
I wish I was half of who she is.
I wish I had a third of the strength that she has.

I walk into the main building and hear shouting from the Ambassador sector.
It's a normal trait from that area, so I'm not surprised.

"I tagged you with the ball! You're out!" A male voice argues.

"The door isn't the base, dumbass! We said the wall next to it was!"

"No, it was the door!"

I walk to the entrance of the large hallway and see that they're playing a game of baseball. Tris is casually leaning against third base outside of Ian's office while Uriah and another ambassador, Ben and his girlfriend Rachel argue over where first base was placed.

"Does this really matter?" Tris rolls her eyes crossing her arms.

"Not everyone isn't competitive like you, Tris." Rachel jokes.