Chapter 48 - Baby's Baby

— Tris

"I can't believe I'm already showing," I laugh, looking at my small bump in the mirror.

"The doctor told you you would be. I mean, you're not a big person, Tris. You're tiny and fifteen weeks pregnant," Tobias wraps his arm around my waist, his arm warm around my exposed stomach.

"Two weeks ago we didn't even know the baby existed though. It's crazy when you think about it," I pull back down my shirt and snake my arms around my husband's waist.

"Merry Christmas, Tobias."

"Merry Christmas, Beatrice." He presses our lips together.

"And Merry Christmas to you too, baby," he gets on his knees, kissing my barely round abdomen.

I'm forever grateful for the medication my OB prescribed me for the nausea. Even though she said naturally my nausea should slow down as I reach seventeen weeks, the medicine I take before bed every night has done wonders.

"I can't wait to tell everyone," I say when he comes up from caressing my stomach and he nods in agreement.

"It begins today," our foreheads lean on each other's and we share the same air.

"I'm glad we told your mom," I think back to how we showed up at her door with the ultrasound picture last week. "I don't think I would have survived without telling anyone for this long."

Evelyn was absolutely astounded to find out she was going to be a grandmother. Quite honestly, I don't think I had ever seen her smile as much as she did when we showed her the picture. The same picture now hangs on her fridge, and it was one of the three copies we got from Erudite at the scan.

I wince as I put on my jeans, my leg reminding me that still is injured.

'Every hour you are on your feet, you need twenty minutes with it up. So you're out and about for three hours, you've got to keep it up for a hour once you get the chance.' I hear my conversation with Dr. Scott that I had yesterday when I called. We had not gotten the chance to talk much about my leg once we discovered the source of my nausea, and she wanted to be sure I understood what she was asking me to do.

"Tobias, we still have to open up all of those wedding gifts," I notice the pile on the table in the hallway towards our four extra rooms as I walk out of our master bedroom.

"When we get home later?" He responds asking. "Hey, let's get going to get Mom. The train will be here in twenty."

"Were you bringing spices or Mom?" He asks as I sit to put on my shoes. He is working on feeding Indy breakfast while he talks from the kitchen.

"I think Cara is, but I guess my mom said she does have some stuff too. Who knows," I finish tying my boots and stand to grab my coat. "Do you have the gifts?"

"Yeah, and the cake," he smiles boyishly. "Ready?"

We leave while Indy eats and go down the hall to Evelyn's apartment, then together we go to the Main Building to get on the train.

We make small talk, mainly about the baby, as we sit on the train to Abnegation.

"Now you can't slip up and talk about the baby anymore," I laugh as we walk through the sector of beige square houses. "No one except us knows yet."

We knock on the door once we get to my parent's house and my brother answers the door, his face lighting up when he sees us.

"Merry Christmas!" He smiles and wraps me in a hug.