Chapter 42 - Home

Chapter 42 - Home

— Tris

I wake up in my old bed; the bed I spent sixteen years waking up in before I made the life changing choice to transfer factions.

Sixteen years, and yet, it seems so awkward waking up here in my bed again.

I blink a few times, noticing my mother standing in the doorframe.

"You're getting picked up in an hour," she reminds me, walking over to sit on the foot of my bed.

"Now who is this coming to get you?" She asks, constantly interested in my friends.

"Amar, he's the second guy who found me with Zeke after the blast in the Pire. He's the one who brought me to the infirmary."

My mother nods and I continue.

"He and his husband, George are really close with Tobias and I. Amar was Tobias's instructor during initiation and then long story short he ended up at the Bureau," I sit up in bed stretching. "And then I met him there when I ended up there, and he came back to the city in the following years."

My mother begins to ask a question when I get the familiar nausea I do every morning now. Slipping my legs from under the bed sheets I quickly move to the bathroom.

The nausea is worse this morning compared to usual. I heave into the toilet and I worry that the force will cause me to puke blood.

It doesn't, but I still worry.

My mother is right next to me on the ground as I hover over the toilet. Her hand soothingly moves along the top of my head.

I'm not sure how long the action goes on until my stomach finally calms and I lean back against the tub where I showered yesterday.

My mother is next to me again with a cool cloth wiping my face, concern clear across her own face.

I wince, the familiar feeling of pain in my left leg stinging from the center of my calf. My hand moves to rub it, but the second my fingers make contact with the skin the stinging turns to a deep ache.

"They have Erudite doctors in Dauntless until the end of next month to help with all the injuries. Beatrice, promise me you will get checked out this week when you go home and make sure this bruise isn't causing you the nausea and pain. I know they did tests and x-rays, but I still worry that it hit your intestines or something to cause this," she shows her concern looking me dead in the eyes.

"Alright," I nod beginning to stand. "Alright," I say again once I am on my feet. I flex my ankle, trying to make the pain in my leg subside but it just won't quit.

I spend the next moments getting dressed slowly in my room. It is monumental because I am able to slowly, and painfully do it by my self.

"Honey, he's here." My mother calls up the stairs, probably much louder than for my father's liking.

I hear talking among my mother, father and Amar when the door opens. I can't make out what they're saying as I struggle to listen in. I collect the frames on my dresser and add them to the top of the bag on top of the clothes.

I stand over my bed and mess around with the bag Shauna brought me.

"Tris."

I turn, snapping my head around to see my friend.

How did I not hear him come up the stairs?

He comes over and wraps his arms around me and mine end up around his torso. The tightness of his hold is painful on my bruise, but I don't care enough about the pain to push him away.