Chapter 36 - Too Late

— Tris

The first group of squads was sent out five minutes ago.

"Do not shoot unless you are shot at. That is an order directly from the leaders. The attackers have proven that they aren't here to kill, so they seem, and we would like to keep it that way." One of the squad leaders, a tall middle aged brunette female stands on a ladder to speak to the masses.

She gets off the ladder and disappears from my field of vision.

I feel numb.
I want to know what's going on.
I don't just want to stand around body to body in the training room and wait.

Hours pass and I find myself sitting on the floor with Christina. They skipped over squad 26 and started calling at number 27 when they began calling squads out to fight.

"Will proposed to me yesterday." She doesn't look up from picking at the bottom of her shoe.

"Christina! That's great, Congratulations!" I grab her hand forcing her to look up at me. Her eyes are sad but she smiles with her teeth.

"I know the feeling," I comment, referring to the happy mixed with sad. "I was suppose to be getting married today."

"You didn't tell me?" Her false happiness turns to a mild anger.

"We didn't want a big deal, Chris. The proposal in front of all of you was enough," I express and she shrugs.

She knows Tobias and I.
She knows we wouldn't want anything big, if anything all.

We sit quiet in each other's company for just minutes before someone yells.

"All troops deployed! Move out!"

We rise and I wipe my palms on my jeans.

Staying with Tobias in his office really seems like a better option right now.
Sixteen year old Tris wouldn't have this amount cowardliness in the face of a fight.
She wouldn't consider opting out because of the fear.
But sixteen year old Tris did not know fear like this.

I stay close by Chris as we move through the training room doors. "26 is stationed at the Cafeteria and central compound." A man says as we walk out of the door.

Breaking in a jog, we head towards our destination.

Except, we barely make it to the next hallway before the screaming begins.

They know is my first thought.
All our troops
All our weapons
The only current access point to the Main Building.

They have to know that it's located here, the Training room.

Metal is the first thing I see, lots of metal.

My mind starts flashing.
I recognize the metal objects.
Long poles, blades and bows and arrows, all a rusty silver color.

New York was turned into a metal production site when the war broke out among America. Because of the amount of fires, the fires that burned Chicago to the ground, metal was a need because it melted slower than wood.

How the hell do I know that?

I'm almost instantly lost from my squad, everyone spiraling out of control to defend the training room.

I find myself alongside Ian, a challenger charging.

Do we shoot?
The attackers don't seem to have guns.