Chapter 41 - You Are Loved

— Tris

"They seem nice," my mother stands in the doorway to my bedroom, the long blue ice pack in her hands. "Here," she hands it to me as I lay back on the bed.

"The guy, Zeke, he was one of the two guys who found me in the Pire rubble. They're both the same age as Tobias and they met during initiation. They're both Dauntless born though."

She nods, sitting on the foot of the bed, picking up the dirty grey backpack. "They brought you things?"

"Yeah, they had to get into the apartment anyways to get Indy, and I guess Christina had broken into my office for fun and they got me some clothes and stuff I guess. I haven't looked inside yet, open it up." I prop up on my arm a little bit.

"Here," she stands, taking the pillow from behind me and resting it on the wall. She leaves the room for a moment and returns with another pillow. "Scoot over," she laughs lightly sitting propped up on the wall next to me, the backpack in her hands.

My mother had loosened from her previous Abnegation traits since returning to the city. She is more outgoing and less reserved unlike the woman I grew up to know.

I see myself in her.

I take the bag from her, and now I realize it is one of my backpacks I got when out with Shauna.

She had insisted that I kept loosing things and needed a purse or something to carry everything with, so I opted for this small bag. I never used it, but it was nice to have if I ever did need it, I guess.

Sitting on top is a picture from my desk, a picture I see every day that does not phase me.

Today, it makes my emotions run high. My hand covers my mouth as tears immediately fall from my cheeks.

My first Christmas in Dauntless was special.
Early on in the month of December I had taken one of Chris's big red hats with a white ball at the end of it as a joke. Somehow, I have yet to return it to her.

Tobias had found one for himself, for visiting week had landed at the first week of December that year, and the leaders and ambassadors had Christmas attire planned and scheduled all week for each day.

We hosted Christmas at our house that year, five Decembers ago. Shauna took this picture of Tobias and I in our red hats, Indy cooperating for the picture sitting between us.

"So that's the infamous Indiana I hear so much about," my mother smiles at the picture.

"I'm so glad that they're both okay. I miss them," I cry hysterically.

"Oh, honey," my mother pushes my head to her shoulder. "This is only the first frame," she laughs lightly pushing the bag aside.

"My gosh that is beautiful," my mother pulls out the next frame and holds it between us.

I break into another fit of sobbing uncontrollably.

Christina had her camera ready the day that Tobias proposed, the day that I returned from Erudite. I'm pretty sure she had bribed him to telling her what he was planning.

The moment I pressed my lips to his, as a way of saying yes, she caught the moment on film to last a lifetime.

"God, I miss him," I find my voice through my tears.
My emotions have been strung so high lately, it's as if I am a different person.

I just hope returning to Dauntless will make it easier; fix the homesickness I have.

"Look at this one," my mother pulls out another frame.