Chapter 29 - Changed

— Tris

Visiting week is always an interesting week.

When I was in initiation the event only lasted a day. Even through my childhood, parents of different factions always came and stuck around Abnegation for a day.

The only real difference is that now there is no need for a single day. On any given day family can visit family, no regard to their faction of housing.

Visiting day was about visiting family after transferring to a new faction.

Visiting week is about possible transfers to the faction getting the opportunity to learn about what they might be getting themselves into. Visiting week is also used for an excuse for members of other factions to visit a given faction for entertainment or curiosity.

Quite honestly, it's a lot of stress for a major waste of time.

The week starts smoothly, I have all of the papers lined up for Ian to distribute, the schedules are posted, the meetings are booked.

The week continued equally as smooth.

"Beatrice, look at you!" My mother exclaims. She wraps me in her arms the moment I turn around. One of the other ambassadors must have given her directions to my office, for it is very much tucked far down the hallway of ambassador offices. "When I saw you at your brother's, you were barely hobbling!" She signs in awe.

"Yeah," I smile, unsure of what to say. "Things are moving along, and so am I, literally."

She smiles. It's a genuine smile that I can reflect.

I don't see my mother as much as I would wish to anymore. Her and I were left most injured after all that has happened, and she was left in a wheelchair over in Abnegation while I was barely mobile in Dauntless.

Now, she and I are both getting around.
I couldn't be happier.

"How are you?" I hold both her hands in mine.

"Oh I'm alright. How are you dear?"

"I'm fine, thanks."

I'm lucky to get the rest of the day to catch up with my mother. Eventually, my father joins us as well.

"How's Tobias?" My father asks as we sit for dinner in the Cafeteria.

"He's doing well. Leader meetings are running all day today so I'd be surprised if I see a glimpse of him until late tonight."

"He's enjoying his profession?" My mother asks, not skeptically, but in a hopeful manner.

"Very much so. The group of leaders they have here are very good at what they do. The compound surely has seen much worse, but it seems to only be going up since hitting rock bottom."

I recognize the footsteps before the person speaks.
I've trained myself to do it.

"Mind if I join you?" Evelyn comes behind me, her hand lightly touching my shoulder.

I would have jumped if I didn't remember her steps.
She drags her feet slightly, just like her son. Her son's steps are much louder though.

Evelyn and I can be easily compared to be similar.
We both know fear.
We both know to be light on our feet.

"Evelyn, how good to see you again!" My mother smiles brightly.

Evelyn takes a seat to my left, directly across from my father who sits to my mother's right across the table.

Randomly, I begin to feel pain in my leg.
I hate how this happens. The pain has a mind of its own, and it begins and ends whenever it pleases.