Chapter 49 - Wedding Sickness

— Tobias

Tris sighs, flopping on the couch when we both enter the apartment. Indy wags his tail, stretching from his bed and trotting over to greet me as I slip off my shoes.

"You alright?" I laugh peering over to see my wife sprawled out on the couch, her blonde hair covering half of her face. The red Christmas hat that was on her head is now somewhere under her head, only the white puff ball sticking out and dangling off the couch.

She groans lightly and I laugh.

"That was the easier family to tell," I laugh as I walk in the other room, switching out my nice jeans for pajama pants. "Our friends are going to be going insane." I mentally attempt to predict each person's reaction.

She's gonna have to be careful. Only one hug and Cara had figured her out.

"Have you eaten?" I look at Indy when I leave the bedroom. His tail thumps on the wood floor, obviously not knowing what I'm saying.

As I put his kibble in his bowl, I notice the pile of wedding presents still in the corner of the hallway.

I yawn, stretching my arms back as my back pops. Indy excitedly eats his food and I notice I haven't heard Tris moving around.

If you shut up and listen once and a while, I hear her voice in my head. You can find out a lot about a situation.

She spent a lot of her life listening after she was forced to leave me.
She spent so much time listening that she didn't speak the first few months she returned to me.

I sigh, a flood of memories from those rough years that still haunt her.
They still do.

I hear her breathing heavily, but also steadily.
Pregnancy has made her able to sleep almost whenever.

I smile when I notice she has made herself comfortable on the sofa, her shoes still on her feet as she snores softly.

I kneel by her feet, zipping the zippers down on her boots and slipping them from her feet.

She use to always been on edge, even around me.
She wouldn't sleep, even in my arms.
She wouldn't relax, even on the most easy going days.

Not even at the beginning of this year would I have been able to take her shoes off without her waking from her sleep. Hell, me walking over towards the couch would have made her wake instantly.

I set her boots by the door and turn to notice that she hasn't moved an inch.

I bend down and manage to get my arm under her legs, slowly lifting her with my other arm around her back.

I feel an uncomfortable stretch in my shoulder.
You shouldn't be doing this, Tobias, I remember my still healing injury.

Her head lies on my chest, and I notice her slightly wake.

"Merry Christmas, Beatrice," I whisper, turning and pushing our bedroom door shut with my heel.

I lie her under the covers and crawl in next to her. She curls onto me with her head on my chest before I even shift to grab the covers.

"Merry Christmas, Tobias," her voice is small.

I cozy myself with her, my arm rubbing her small bump before resting on her side. I press my lips to her head, inhaling her scent.

I associate her with comfort.
When she is here, I know all is okay.

+ + +