Chapter 54 - It's Fine

— Tobias

The next week ends up difficult for Tris and I. Well, more her than me, but it's difficult for me to watch and feel hopeless.

As she enters her thirty-second week of pregnancy her discomfort has gone through the roof.

"Please just don't touch me, Tobias," she sighs raising her hands to her forehead and closing her eyes.

"Okay," I say as soothingly as I can, rolling back over in bed. I hear Indy claw on the door lightly and decide that Tris will be fine here if I take him for a walk.

Strapping his harness, I turn out of the apartment and down the hall, my dog a few feet in front of me.

I can't stop worrying about her, and until now I haven't noticed how much of a clingy husband I have been since we discovered her pregnancy.

I almost always have been coddling her in one way or another: her hand in mine, hugging her, playing with her hair, rubbing her bump...

Her and I were never that clingy couple, but now that she has become so uncomfortable and practically yelling at me sometimes to not touch her, I realize that we are that couple.

Dr. Scott is coming over to check on her patients today in Dauntless and Tris has an appointment with her at noon.

I don't know if she's going to be able to get down to the infirmary to see her.

I make a mental note to call the doctor on my way home from this walk and see what she thinks.

A lot of Tris's discomfort has been coming from her leg, which Dr. Scott had worried about. Her body is changing with this pregnancy, and her leg is swelling from the pregnancy along with the injury making the pain worse.

I just hope she won't need surgery when One is a newborn.

She hasn't been sleeping much, and she practically stopped training with Zeke and Chris with the exception of once a week with both of them. The day that the ambassadors surprised her with her baby shower ended up being her last day before her maternity leave. She didn't want it to be her last day, but the following Monday she woke up so uncomfortable that she gave in and told Josh she was done for a while. Ambassadors have been stopping by the apartment with questions on papers and just to say hi, but she's been keeping a tight leash on making sure they ask before they come because of the pains she gets.

It's normal, I guess, the discomfort she's having. Her organs are pushing to make room for One as he grows, and her skin is stretching as he does so.

It just sounds painful. I can't imagine it actually happening inside of me.

I decide to call Dr. Scott. She picks up after two rings and tells me that she's on the train to Dauntless right now.

I tell her about Tris's discomfort as she's seven and a half months pregnant, and how I don't know if I can't torture her to get her down to the infirmary today.

"Well, that's not going to stop me. What apartment number is yours? I can do the scan of her leg from my laptop and she doesn't even have to get out of bed. I was wondering how she was doing with the pregnancy and her leg, and I guess this is expected."

I tell her how to get to our apartment when entering from the Main Building and she says she will be here in fifteen minutes.

Tris is probably going to be mad at the lack of notice, but she'll have to get over it.

I unhook Indy from his leash and he barrels through the apartment. I panic for a second that he might go into the bedroom and jump on Tris, but he turns and goes into the kitchen instead.